Thanks for all your help so far...and now some more please :)

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have been setting up my 15G, planted tank over the past few weeks and this site has been really helpful! I did a fishless cycle using food over 18 days and for the last 3-4 days of that time had ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates 20-40ppm.

I added 6 white cloud mountain minnows 5 days ago and they seem to be doing fine. All are eating, swimming around all over the tank and play chasing each other. I was confused whether to add just 3 or 6 as they school so went for 6 (oops??).

My water parameters have been fine since adding the white clouds, apart from nitrates were high today.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
P.H. 8.2
Nitrate 40.00

I did a 20% water change 2 days ago, is it OK to do another one so soon to get nitrates down?

Thanks again!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
Glad your tank is doing so well It probably wouldn't hurt to do a small water change. watch for an ammonia spike after adding the fish. good luck!
Carol

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree, clean water never hurts! Water changes are the best way to bring down nitrate levels, as long as you don't have a lot of nitrate in your tap water to begin with.

I haven't seen you around before, so welcome to FL!!!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't remember if I have already, so welcome to Fish Lore!

How many plants are in your tank? IIRC, planted tanks should have fairly low nitrate levels, under 10 maybe. So I wonder why yours are so high. But I agree, water changes never hurt.

-Lisa

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on the types of plants in the tank, and their rates of growth. Slow growing plants (a lot of the low light types) aren't going to impact water quality too much.

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all and thanks for replies and the welcomes! I have posted a few threads before but very much a newcomer to this site. Fishlore is such a good information source and everyone is so friendly.

I have three plants: Echinodorus, Ludwigia and Water Sprite (ceratopteris thalictroides), the water sprite has trebled in size! Does it need pruning at some point? I did about a 10% water change, but haven't had a chance to measure parameters yet. I'll check tap water too for nitrates.

Would these be good tank mates for the white clouds:
2 platy in about a month's time and 2 ottocinclus once tank has been established for a few months? Only concern I have is whether 73 degrees is OK temperature for white clouds and platy, people seem to have mixed views on that! Any other suggestions you may have for tank mates would be great, I am open to ideas!

kalabola

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi again, I tested my tapwater today for nitrates and it's between 20-40ppm. Anything I can do about that?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom