Thank You Fishlore, And Everyone's Help

r5n8xaw00
10 gallon
Betta
3 Pepper Corys

After a month, I now have my first fully cycled aquarium. While there is always room for improvement I feel proud. I owe all this to all of you here, on fishlore. In this short time I have learned a tremendous amount from everyone here, and will continue to do so into the future. Now I am on my quest for upgrading to bigger aquariums. First a 29 gallon and later a 55 gallon.

Here are the numbers.
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
Temperature 75 Degrees

I have been doing wc almost every other day, adding Seachem Prime and Tetra Aquasafe. (Both at the same time.)

I learned about Seachem Prime form you guys and gals right here on fishlore. Thank you...

Oh yeah one more thing, the Betta and Corys wanted me to thank you also....:smug:

EbiAqua
With those water parameters you could cut your water changes down to one a week and be fine. No ammonia, no nitrites, and trace nitrates means you're cycled.

mattgirl
I am pretty sure that Prime and Aquasafe do basically the same thing so using both at the same time is not necessary. Sometimes less is best. If it were me I would just keep the Aquasafe as a backup in case you run out of Prime sometime in the future.

r5n8xaw00
With those water parameters you could cut your water changes down to one a week and be fine. No ammonia, no nitrites, and trace nitrates means you're cycled.

Thank you, I will keep an eye on things with my test kit. At first the frequent wc was nessasary due to high Ammonia, then higher Nitrites, but now I do feel comfortable with less frequent wc.

I also learned about the API Freshwater Master Test Kit here on fishlore, Petsmart sold me strips, and I still use both, but the API FMTK is more accurate.

I am pretty sure that Prime and Aquasafe do basically the same thing so using both at the same time is not necessary. Sometimes less is best. If it were me I would just keep the Aquasafe as a backup in case you run out of Prime sometime in the future.

Didn't know this, my thinking was that one was adding something the other didn't have... Thanks

Can I through this in here.... Over 20 years ago, I tried to start an aquarium hobby, and at first loved it, but it was a total disaster. What didn't die got eaten, so I gave up. Today I can point to one thing that we didn't have back then... the internet.

mattgirl
Didn't know this, my thinking was that one was adding something the other didn't have... Thanks
They are both water conditioners. It is my understanding that Prime neutralizes ammonia and nitrites up to a certain amount whereas AquaSafe just neutralizes chlorine/chlorimine (sp) so I choose to use Prime as my water conditioner. Since they both do basically the same thing but Prime does a bit more it was an easy choice for me as to which one of the two to use.

r5n8xaw00
They are both water conditioners. It is my understanding that Prime neutralizes ammonia and nitrites up to a certain amount whereas AquaSafe just neutralizes chlorine/chlorimine (sp) so I choose to use Prime as my water conditioner. Since they both do basically the same thing but Prime does a bit more it was an easy choice for me as to which one of the two to use.
Curious... Date: Feb. 25 2018, this test showed nitrites 2.0, that was before I started using Prime (and the reason I ran out and got a bottle). Date: March 5 2018, this test showed nitrites 0.25, today nitrites 0. I wonder if Prime is the reason. Thanks...

david1978
Nope your bacteria in your cycle is the reason. Prime claims to detoxify not remove so it will still show if its there.

TexasGuppy
No, they get lower and lower as the tank cycles. Prime just protects the fish until it gets to zero.

mattgirl
Prime doesn't remove them. It just renders them harmless to the fish. Your tests will still register them if they are there.

oops, got ninja'd

HORNET1
10 gallon
Betta
3 Pepper Corys

After a month, I now have my first fully cycled aquarium. :smug:

fish.gif

HORNET1
Good info on Prime... Thanks Everyone

Thanks Hornet.. Where did you get that Good Job! logo... funny...
Google Images is where I go for pics. Give it a try...Lots of cool stuff

r5n8xaw00
Google Images is where I go for pics. Give it a try...Lots of cool stuff

I had no idea.... learn something everyday...

Triston Wasmund
How many people have tried to tell you to get more corys? I am just curious. I was going to do corys in my 10 gal but everyone was like " no you need to have at least 6, and you don't have a big enough tank" lol

EbiAqua
How many people have tried to tell you to get more corys? I am just curious. I was going to do corys in my 10 gal but everyone was like " no you need to have at least 6, and you don't have a big enough tank" lol

"Now I am on my quest for upgrading to bigger aquariums."

countryrain when you upgrade get at least 3 more of the same species of corys lol

r5n8xaw00

Well...lol...My first aquarium in over 20 years, so basically just learning. I had no idea about Corys, numbers, and 10 gallon when I first setup my aquarium. Learned about needing larger groups because they are a schooling fish here on fishlore. But having said this, go with at least three and no less. I only added three to keep down the bio load in a 10 gallon. I also learned that the Betta and the Pepper Corys need different water temperature, but at 75 degrees this is in the range of the tolerance for both species. Mine are healthy, eating like hogs, and not stressed. But as for as how long they will live, if this will shorten their lives, I have no idea and only time will tell. But in a couple of weeks the Corys will be in the 29 gallon and I will add some more. I would suggest doing your research and find out which Cory species will live the best in your 10 gallon with your other fish, maybe like pygmy Corys.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SeaMonkey06
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
dRock
Replies
Views