Thank Goodness for Quarantine

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by bolivianbaby, Mar 21, 2010.

1. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Last weekend I got 5 silver dollars and 5 polka-dot loaches from Petsmart.

Everyone one of them has ich. They weren't showing signs at the store, but I'm very happy I have them in quarantine.

I'll be doing the "raise the temperature to 84" and "bi-weekly gravel vac" for two weeks. Hopefully, this will be enough. With the loaches in there, I really don't want to add meds or salt.

Mods-I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. I apologize and feel free to move it to the freshwater fish/disease section.

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Moved.
    I agree quarentining is so very important!

I've read that the temp should be at least 86F (though some strains are heat resistant)

Good luck, I hope they make a quick recovery!

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Guarantine is always a good move.
    Heat and the gravel vacs and water changes will see it all right soon.
    Carol

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Thank you, ladies:;hug2

No more Petsmart fish for me. This is the final straw. It's fellow hobbyists and my favorite LFS from now on.

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I reached the same conclusion after I lost my betta!!! No more chain store fish for me, ever. I couldn't even keep chain store platies alive... if they can't sell healthy platies, then I'm not even going to bother, lol.

Hope the treatment all goes well!

6. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

7. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

UPDATE: A post was made yesterday in regards to ich possibly being caused by a bacteria or parasite, I can't remember which. I'm really considering this to be a distinct possibility.

Even with increased temps (gravel vacuum will be done this evening), I've lost 4 out of the 5 of my silver dollars and one of my polka-dot loaches. I found them this morning.

I'm not loving the loss of life. It seems like such a waste of some beautiful creatures. I'm crossing my fins the others make it.

Should I consider medicating? If so, with what? I would like to make sure I'm doing everything I can to prevent any more loss of life. They're in a quarantine tank, so thank goodness there's no danger to any other fish.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

I hope u can pull the rest out of it!!!!! Did u add extra airation...Im sure u did......

9. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Thanks:;hug2 I did add extra aeration, but I'm glad you brought that up. It's always better safe than sorry and I'd feel horrible if I missed something and cost them their lives because of it.

10. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I don't think there's much you can do. Medications IME are effective, but very stressful for the fish. The heat and salt combo, although debated here, has worked for me for years. The thing is, sometimes you're just going to get weak stock that isn't going to survive the bout with ich no matter what method you use to treat. This has also happened to me many times. Before my employer switched suppliers, we got weak fish all the time. With a better supplier, fish stood a much better chance of survival even if they did get ich.

What you're experiencing is the reason I refuse to buy fish from a chain store from here on out. My chain store fish didn't even get ich and died for no apparent reason after several months. I'm just done with them for good.

If you're looking for FW fish in the next few weeks, we can see what I can order for you.

11. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Thanks, Harpua! I'm so excited about your new business! You'll have a dedicated customer with me:)

12. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

UPDATE: Disappointment when I got home from work. My last silver dollar and all of my loaches have passed away.

I'm suspecting more than ich, although it could be paranoia. I've never seen 10 fish pass so quickly. In order to protect future inhabitants, what do I need to do to totally disinfect the tank? There are decorations, gravel, heater, two filters, the whole nine yards.

13. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry about the losses. My money is still on weak stock that just succumbed to ich rather than something else going on. That doesn't mean I'm right at all, just that you didn't seem to have any other symptoms going on apart from what goes along with ich.

If you really want to disinfect, you could use a bleach solution. I'd personally just let everything dry out and re-use it; there won't be much that could survive that IMO. The ich itself will not survive in there without a host if you just run the tank fallow for a few weeks. I'm not one of the folks that believes that ich can lie dormant in the tank with no fish just waiting to pop up again, but there are differences of opinion on that matter so you'll have to decide for yourself. :)

14. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Drying out makes sense. I'd thought about running it empty for awhile. That would resolve the ich. And I can be lazy about it. Hmmm...maybe I'll try that. Thanks:;hug2

I was so proud of myself for stocking my 55g (that's the tank they would've gone in) around my RTS.

At least I have a couple weeks to decide if I want to try that combo again or go in a different direction.

15. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Hey, do you think you might be interested in my red and blue Columbian tetras? If you don't remember, they are the huge ones in my 120 gallon. I'm looking to sell them because they are so active that I think they may be stressing my Rotkeils. But for a RTS tank, I think they would be perfect! And they are so beautiful... ;D

16. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

OMG-It's so funny you should ask me that! I've been looking at columbians and trying to figure out where I could find some. They are beautiful!

PM me with the details, price, etc.

17. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Woot! You're going to love them! They will be awesome tank mates for your rts. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice