Thank Goodness For Amzon! 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Yodelhawk, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Yodelhawk

YodelhawkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Noob here... got a kit and set it up 4 days ago. Got a hold of a local guy that takes care of tanks and had him come out just to see that I'm not screwing up too bad. Seeded with bacteria and was told I could add some fish. Since I wanted to keep it simple I chose some neon tetris. Went to the pet store and got 20 of the little guys and a bunch of other stuff. Got home and found that I had only recieved 8. Back to the store I go today and pick up the mail on the way home. Oh look... the digital tank thermometer that I ordered from Amazon came. JOY! Go to add my new two fish to the tank and... it seems like the tank is cold! Glass thermometer that came with the tank reads 80°. New digital one.... 76°... BRRRR! Somehow while setting it up I must have bumped the thermostat so it was not fully plugged in. 20190817_092943. I hope I caught it in time and my fishies are going to be OK. Thank goodness for Amazon.

2. Charlie’s Dad

Charlie’s DadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +352
    Experience:
    2 years
    Your tank looks good.... Keep up the good work........ I hope the neons are able to just shake it off.......

3. OP
    OP
    Yodelhawk

YodelhawkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    i like the look of your tank. i think i saw it on petco and almost bought it but i heared the cover doesnt come off? anyway im confused by "76 brrrr cold" when neons (are from many care pages/posts ive read) fine between 72-78f . my tank is always around 77f and all my fish are fine nice and toasty in my 37gallon , also (because ive had this issue myself except i didnt use bacteria. old school cycled) is it a good idea to add 20 neons all at once as your first fish? yes you may have seeded some live bacteria in there, but is enough to handle a 20 neon poop storm? these things i dont know but i worry about them. personally i would stick with the 8. wait a couple days and add another 8 like a couple days later and so on? that way you are sure you have a nice build up of enough bacteria to handle the fish you have and adding a little more will created more bacteria via ammonia and also not overload your tank with ammonia because there arent enough bb to take care of it all..

but i dont know. someone smarter than me might tell you otherwise. just something to think about

here are a couple care guides for neons if needed
    Neon Tetra Care Sheet: Guide for Creating The Optimal Envrionemnt
    Best Temperature For Neon Tetras

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,137
    Experience:
    2 years
    Strange that you missed 12 neons .. Yes a lower temp is better for them. Your seeded media should be able to catch up with their light bioload Keep an eye on your parameters you may get a small ammonia spike. so WC's will be necessary. Nice set up good luck!!