Thai Micro Crabs

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Shrimp Planet, Apr 18, 2017.

1. S

Shrimp Planet New Member Member

Hello, I have some Thai micro crabs arriving on Thursday and have several tanks to choose from for their new home, I was planning to add them to my red fire sakaura tank it's 150 litre tank and has around 50 sakaura, a few Amanos, 4 fan tailed guppies and 2 sail fin mollies. It's heavily planted with lots of ferns mosses driftwood, cholla wood, various leaves, rocks and gravels. I have very little knowledge of these crabs and wanted to make sure they will be ok in the same tank as the mollies or would they be better in one of my shrimp only tanks, I have 3 shrimp only tanks to chose from however I shan't add the crabs to the giant african and whisker shrimp tank as the whisker shrimp are very agressive.
    I have a tank with yellow fire sakaura and snails. And a tank with ghost shrimp and amanos.
    I would like to add them to the red sakaura tank but am conserned the mollies might be too much for the crabs to cope with.
    Also the sakaura are breeding well and constantly have lots of young in this tank will crabs eat the baby shrimp fry?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would keep them in a shrimp only tank. They're reclusive, and I'd be afraid of a molly trying to eat them. The crabs are small, so I wouldn't think they'd eat baby shrimp, but I don't know for sure.

3. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I have some of the thai micro crabs as well. I would recommend putting them in a shrimp only tank. They are EXTREMELY small and very fragile. I don't think they would stand up against a molly even though they are great at hiding. I keep mine in a shrimp only tank and it serves a second benefit in that the crabs really need almost the exact same care as most neo-shrimp. Good luck seeing them once they are in the tank though! I almost never see mine except I know where they like to hide out :)
    **edit**
    also - i wouldn't worry about them bothering anything in your tank including fry :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for your replies I shall add them to the yellow sakaura tank as only them and snails in this tank, however I've read that the micro crabs like floating plants and I only have mosses and drift wood in that tank. Would it be advisable to add floating plants or will the crabs be perfectly happy withoutthem?

5. meyowmeow

I do have some floating plants in my tank but I rarely if ever see them hanging there - could be that they just do it when I'm not observing them but mainly mine like hiding in cholla wood. I think they would be more than happy with a few varieties of moss.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Excellent, I have plenty of cholla wood in my other tanks so will move some in with the yellows in prep for the crabs. Thanks again

7. meyowmeow

no problem! :) enjoy!

8. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

I would love to see pictures when you get them. I have wondered about getting some for my dwarf frog tank that only has the frogs, ghost shrimp, and nerite snails.

9. OP
    OP
    S

I shall add some picks when they arrive on Thursday (only have camera phone so hopefully it will bock up these funny little critters)

10. Fishboy321

Fishboy321 Valued Member Member

I would but a separate 5 gallon(depending on how many you have) and add wood and moss, they will probably breed eventually in a separate tank

11. meyowmeow

I highly doubt they will produce viable offspring in captivity. The mysteries of their reproduction still have not been fully worked out.

12. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Did they come in? How are they doing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice