Thai Micro Crabs: good community choice?

1. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I found someone selling Thai Micro Crabs on my local classifieds. Are they like shrimp? Would they make good detritus cleaners or are they like crayfish and more likely to hunt my fish?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think they're more like shrimp, but I wouldn't call them a good community choice. They hide a lot and might be eaten by big fish.

What fish did you want to keep them with?

3. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I thought they might be fun in a community with tetras and angels. I think you're right though. I haven't tried RCS with angels but I could see them becoming angel snacks. I micro crabs aren't much bigger then they'd likely suffer the same fate.

4. TexasDomer

They aren't bigger, so not a good choice.

You could always set up a 2.5 for them!

5. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I have a 1.8! Would that do?

6. TexasDomer

I think that would be fine!

7. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

Hmm...

So do they like to be in groups?

8. TexasDomer

I don't know. From what I've seen online, they do well in groups.

9. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I'll look online. It was just that after the nightmare I went through with the crayfish (that I was assured by the internet was community and plant-friendly) I decided I trust you guys more.

10. TexasDomer

They're plant friendly! They're too tiny to do much damage.

11. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh, please update on these little guys once you get some! I saw them online the other day and was definitely interested. Per Aquaticarts they are even compatible with the dwarf shrimp.

12. TexasDomer

I have an Asian stone catfish (getting more when they're in stock) with some cherry shrimp and I'm tempted to put some micro crabs in there with them.

13. m

mattdang34 New Member Member

I ordered 5 micro crabs to go in a planted shrimp and Cory cat tank. I'm excited to get them.

14. OP
    OP
    Aquaphobia

I'll look forward to hearing how they work out!:)

15. m

Those mugs still have not shipped, they are trying to tell me it's to hot to mail them.

16. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

That is an actual thing that happens with shipping live animals in the summer. I don't know where you live, but even in France (mild climate), many sellers stop shipping entirely in the summer.

17. m

I get that, but if they had that policy those fools should have said as much.....before they took my money. Looks like the temp will be low enough tomorrow to ship though.

18. m

The waiting will just make it cooler when I finally get um though

19. TexasDomer

I think they're being very responsible about it, not fools at all.

20. m

Idk, I ordered multiple orders this wek, they all came in except that one, from places hotter, when it was in the 100s where I am at.

I'm not mad about then concern for the animals, I'm mad it took three emails for them to just say it was a hold because of weather. I can deal with the animals health, just not the awful customer service