Tfreema's New 75g

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
:emoji_clap: "Beautiful" as always. Makes me want to give anubias another try.
Honestly, I don’t remember where I got that anubias that has such big leaves, but it all was propagated from my 125g. It has grown really well for me to the point that I will have to start selling it at monthly club meetings.

All the other medium and petite anubias has just come out of tanks I am shutting down. I have 3 tanks emptied and officially shut down now just so you know, lol. 55g, 45g, and 20L. I think I will shut down my 30L as well and got another 20L that is practically empty. Just gotta figure out where my otos are going and clear the plants out to other tanks. I will have 7 or 8 tanks depending on whether I decide to keep the feeder endler and shrimp tank. Much more manageable than 12-15.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1. I HATE duckweed.

2. How many Congo tetras would you put in a 75g?

Stock so far:
8 Congo tetras
9 adolfoi corydoras (plans to add more)
1 rainbow shark
1 large male bn pleco
Plans to add 1 platinum pearlscale veil tail angelfish.

I have 8 more Congo tetras and considering not putting any in the 120g because they can be food swarmers and I have enough trouble getting food to the knife fish as it is.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have heard that simply having more surface agitation will eliminate them. My problem is that I have had frogbit as well as pennywort, jungle vals, and anubias touching the surface that the little devil plants hide out in/on and flourish. That is why I am clearing out all my frogbit from affected tanks and moving my red root floaters to another tank and pray I don't transfer any with them. Otherwise, I am getting a fancy goldfish to transfer from tank to tank until it is eradicated and then gift it to someone that keeps goldies.

Ha! I just looked at the pictures in your link and it shows duckweed getting sucked in, LOL.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, now for my question #2, any opinions?

How many Congo tetras would you put in a 75g?

Stock so far:
8 Congo tetras
9 adolfoi corydoras (plans to add more)
1 rainbow shark
1 large male bn pleco
Plans to add 1 platinum pearlscale veil tail angelfish.

I have 8 more Congo tetras and considering not putting any in the 120g because they can be food swarmers and I have enough trouble getting food to the knife fish as it is.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Great tanks btw
Otherwise, I am getting a fancy goldfish to transfer from tank to tank until it is eradicated and then gift it to someone that keeps goldies.

Ha! I just looked at the pictures in your link and it shows duckweed getting sucked in, LOL.
I feel that having a fancy in a tropical tank, even for a short time, is not kind to them. They are only there to do a job.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would do all the Congo’s in one tank. The shark will be ok. The corys will need support but you can do that

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great tanks btw

I feel that having a fancy in a tropical tank, even for a short time, is not kind to them. They are only there to do a job.
Thank you!

And yeah, it would just be just to do the job temporarily. My 125g is cooler temp so it would be fine in there for a short period of time. I could temporarily drop the temp on the 75g. I also know someone that would take it for her pond afterwards.

I would do all the Congo’s in one tank. The shark will be ok. The corys will need support but you can do that
Yeah, I would love to have some in the 120g but only the largest males would be safe from the ctenopomas. And that tank is hard enough to feed with all my oddballs.

I have wafers that sink quickly for the cories and they tend to not pick much off the bottom.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agree and Agree again. The "curse" of planted tanks. I just got rid of the duckweed a few months ago. Picked up some plants at the auction and you guessed it "Duckweed" again. It just takes a couple and now everywhere. Ugh! Just might try the skimmer idea from @DarkOne

Good Luck!
Yep, I have the skimmer in my eBay cart and about to pull the trigger. For $10 investment, it is worth trying. I will just have to move my red root floaters and pennywort around without transferring any of the devil plants. I may put them in a bucket for a bit to see if any surface.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looking good. I’m not sure about Congo tetras. I heard that they can get big. They are pretty though!
Oh I got duckweed in my tank and I HATE it. I had to throw out my Pennywort from Angel and get new. I’m still cleaning out duckweed every water change.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like duckweed. Gives a nice look with the roots dangling around.

never had any good luck with it.
You are lucky. Frogbit or red root floaters, even some pennywort tied to some wood and allowed to grow to the surface is a much better option. That duckweed will cover the entire surface in now time cutting off light and nutrients to other plants.

Looking good. I’m not sure about Congo tetras. I heard that they can get big. They are pretty though!
Oh I got duckweed in my tank and I HATE it. I had to throw out my Pennywort from Angel and get new. I’m still cleaning out duckweed every water change.
Me too and as soon as I think I have it cleared out, a few more pop up!! I mean, where are they coming from?!?!?!

I think I will get that skimmer. For $10 it is a great low risk investment.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Me too and as soon as I think I have it cleared out, a few more pop up!! I mean, where are they coming from?!?!?!

I think I will get that skimmer. For $10 it is a great low risk investment.
I’m at least keeping it back to several tiny leaves. But oh my goodness it was covering my entire tank! If you leave just one leaf in there it will propagate quick.
Hopefully the skimmer works!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom