Tfreema's New 75g

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HELP!!! 12]

Ok, I need some help on this crazy branch. I need to decide what to do because each position will require me to cut a different piece off to get it to twist and sit right.

Do I have it come down from the top like this? I would twist it a little for more of an arch, but cannot until I cut the small branch shooting off the base.
View attachment 623982

Or coming out of the bottom. Again, some pieces would need to be cut off to get the right position.
View attachment 623987
View attachment 623989

Or lay over the rock formation kinda casually, lol
View attachment 623988

View attachment 623990

Oh, and I really like the bottom of the mopani wood in the back right corner, but not the pointy top. I am thinking about cutting it down or putting one of my large anubias on it to mask the point. Thoughts?
What kind of branch is that? I am trying to figure out if I can use an apple tree branch. Lol

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Manzanita branch.

I think as long as it is hard wood and fully dried out, you can use it.
I can’t get the bark off the apple branch, it’s 5’5” and like 3’ wide. It was broken off of the tree for the whole winter and my husband brought it in the house like 6 months go. I really like that branch you have though. I was trying to save some money because wood is so expensive.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have talawa wood that I couldn’t get all the bark off of and really like the contrast.now I wish I would have left more on it.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have talawa wood that I couldn’t get all the bark off of and really like the contrast.now I wish I would have left more on it.
I wonder if the apple tree branch is ok with the bark on? This is the branch. What do you think?
IMG_3448.JPG

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think as long as it is fully dried out with no sap, it will be ok. The bark may shed a little at a time in the tank.
Ok great thank you. I will let it dry a little longer just to be safe. The bark came right off the thicker parts and the tiny little parts but some of it just refuses to let loose. It’s super thin bark. I don’t mind cleaning the bark out as it sheds during my weekly water changes. Again thank you very much. Your branch looked so cool and I figured I would ask:)

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok great thank you. I will let it dry a little longer just to be safe. The bark came right off the thicker parts and the tiny little parts but some of it just refuses to let loose. It’s super thin bark. I don’t mind cleaning the bark out as it sheds during my weekly water changes. Again thank you very much. Your branch looked so cool and I figured I would ask:)
You are welcome! Please tag me if you post pics of it in your tank!! I like to steal good scape ideas, lol,

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are welcome! Please tag me if you post pics of it in your tank!! I like to steal good scape ideas, lol,
I sure will. To be honest right the tank is a mess. Lol That’s why I am trying to find affordable things to do. It’s bare bottom because over the years I sucked out the sand little by little and now it’s gone. I did buy more sand but I’m just not sure if I want it in there. It doesn’t look too bad and it’s easy to clean. Here is what it looks like now. I bought some powerful plant lights when I set this tank up and planted it all nice then put severums and blood parrots in, lol needless to say I have zero plants in the tank. Whatever green you see is crappy plastic stuff. So I removed one of the light strips and centered the other on the tank. I actually like it better because it has shady areas that some of my fish like better. Rock cave in the middle and then I took most of the driftwood I had and kind of intertwined in to make it tall and lean it against the back wall. I kind of like the look of that but it took a lot of driftwood to get it tall enough. Anyways if you have any ideas for me that won’t cost a fortune that would be great :)
IMG_3449.jpg

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is hard when you have fish that destroy your plants, lol. I love it, especially the rock insert and driftwood.

I don't know about severums, but blood parrots like caves. I would build up some more natural rock formations with large enough caves for the blood parrots to get in. A nice big one on the right side with that branch either laying over or coming out of would look nice. And maybe a smaller one in the back left as well as building up some rocks around the base of the cool driftwood to make another cave.

Tip for sand if you decide to put more in. You don't stir it with the substrate vacuum like you would gravel. You just hover it right over the sand and maybe stir up just the very top layer to pick up debris. Sand is compact enough that stuff does not get down into it.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is hard when you have fish that destroy your plants, lol. I love it, especially the rock insert and driftwood.

I don't know about severums, but blood parrots like caves. I would build up some more natural rock formations with large enough caves for the blood parrots to get in. A nice big one on the right side with that branch either laying over or coming out of would look nice. And maybe a smaller one in the back left as well as building up some rocks around the base of the cool driftwood to make another cave.

Tip for sand if you decide to put more in. You don't stir it with the substrate vacuum like you would gravel. You just hover it right over the sand and maybe stir up just the very top layer to pick up debris. Sand is compact enough that stuff does not get down into it.
That sounds nice. I think I will give it a try I just have to find some more flat rocks, especially having the branch hang over it. That would look really nice.

I use sand in all my tanks but the sand I got for this tank was like fine powder. It was a disaster. Lol It looked really nice in the beginning but I soon learned that white was not good. The python water changer didn’t have enough suction to get anything off the sand so I started using it without the syphon adapter and that’s how all the really fine sand got sucked up. I have no problems with my other tanks. In all honesty just putting 200 pounds or more of sand back in that tank with the risk of the python sucking it all up makes me crazy. Lol

Here is a picture of the cave in the big tank that the blood parrots like to use. It looks kind of short but they fit in there comfortably.
IMG_3463.jpg
IMG_3464.jpg
IMG_3465.jpg
I will also show you a couple more of my tanks that I enjoy.

The betta tank isn’t sand obviously lol I realized I said all my tanks had sand, I forgot about the betta tank.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very nice! I love how you have pothos coming out the top.

And yeah, fine sand is bad for getting sucked up in vacuum and filters.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very nice! I love how you have pothos coming out the top.

And yeah, fine sand is bad for getting sucked up in vacuum and filters.

Thank you ,I have pothos for all my tanks. I am a bit of an over feeder so it helps keep my nitrates down. I love the way it looks. I just put a peace lily on top of my goldfish tank to see how that will do.

Thank you again for the help with my apple branch. I will post a picture once I get things looking better, I am going to use your suggestions, I think it will add a lot to my tank:)

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, another wood question. I really like this mopani in how it makes a little cave, but not so much how it comes to a point at the top.

Should I cut it off some? Or just cover it with plants?
IMG_7348.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom