Tfreema’s Fish Tanks

DarkOne
  • #1,761
I kept my fry in the breeder until they started showing color. They're about 4 months old now and the biggest ones are about 2.5-3".

jmaldo
  • #1,762
Hmm..
My decorators come and go, at times they will uproot/tear at some plants and other times they leave them alone? Right now I have a male with about 5 juvies and for some reason he is fixated on a Sword plant. So, as mentioned and agree

I gave up and let them decorate the tank for me.

It's been awhile since I used a breeder box. Too much work.
Here is my breeding setup.
Since my pair will spawn non stop, similar to rabbits. In order to give them a break and me included. I keep the pair separated until I want more, then I put them together in a 20L. Case in point I have two batches right now. The LFS's want my fish.

The first batch about 3 months, were moved from the 20L to a 33L at about 2 months. The 2nd batch about 2 weeks now just a bit smaller than yours are in the 20L.
IMHO.
I would move them, even a 10g would be better for them and less work as mentioned.

Good Luck!

Learning all the Time.

tfreema
  • #1,763
Here we go again.

tfreema
  • #1,764
It's been awhile since I used a breeder box. Too much work.

The first batch about 3 months, were moved from the 20L to a 33L at about 2 months. The 2nd batch about 2 weeks now just a bit smaller than yours are in the 20L.
IMHO.
I would move them, even a 10g would be better for them and less work as mentioned.

Good Luck!

Learning all the Time.

The main reason I keep them in the breeder box is to target feed. How do you make sure they get the food without overfeeding the tank?

Also, how long do you think the amano shrimp in that tank will be safe before the fry starts to treat them as food?

jmaldo
  • #1,765
Aha! You have a pair that spawns quickly too. As mentioned, "like Rabbits" if I leave them together.
I target feed, 3-4x a day using a pipette, I am sure I have overfed, but that is one of the reasons I do 2-3 water changes per week. I carefully use a small siphon tube, into a bucket to ensure I do not lose any. I do find them on occasion.
Right now, I have probably 4-6 dozen about a week younger than yours. They are doing fine, also they are the only fish in the 20L. Never had Amanos with them, so no help there.
But if your fry are anything like mine they are inquisitive and will test anything to see if its food, they have no fear. I even noticed one today going after a FDBW had it in it's mouth, the worm was bigger than it was. The parents are "Great" protectors and teachers but you know how kids are. LOL
In fact, I did a water change today and changed out their sponge filter and added a piece of driftwood from another tank. The fry swarmed it, obviously there are some micro-organisms on it they like..

Just made a deal with the LFS for the 3-4 month batch, dropping them off on Weds.

Good Luck!

tfreema
  • #1,766
Aha! You have a pair that spawns quickly too. As mentioned, "like Rabbits" if I leave them together.
I target feed, 3-4x a day using a pipette, I am sure I have overfed, but that is one of the reasons I do 2-3 water changes per week. I carefully use a small siphon tube, into a bucket to ensure I do not lose any. I do find them on occasion.
Right now, I have probably 4-6 dozen about a week younger than yours. They are doing fine, also they are the only fish in the 20L. Never had Amanos with them, so no help there.
But if your fry are anything like mine they are inquisitive and will test anything to see if its food, they have no fear. I even noticed one today going after a FDBW had it in it's mouth, the worm was bigger than it was. The parents are "Great" protectors and teachers but you know how kids are. LOL
In fact, I did a water change today and changed out their sponge filter and added a piece of driftwood from another tank. The fry swarmed it, obviously there are some micro-organisms on it they like..

Just made a deal with the LFS for the 3-4 month batch, dropping them off on Weds.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I think I will release them this weekend. I put a media bag over the python tube on fry tanks.

tfreema
  • #1,767
I actually decided to just move them up to a bigger breeder box for a while longer. It is just so much easier to target feed as well as water change 80% of the tank and clean the substrate without tiny babies swimming around.

And we have a ton of wigglers.

Advertisement
tfreema
  • #1,768
The EBA fry graduated from the breeder box to the 20L. I have 31 survivors. Lchi87 Sully and Boo’s grandchildren. Cricket works so well with this mate. I don’t think she ever really liked Jiminy.

Sankalpakc
  • #1,769
Beautiful tanks! I love your style.

tfreema
  • #1,770
Beautiful tanks! I love your style.
Thank you! I am a little OCD with them, lol.

tfreema
  • #1,771
It has been a while since I have posted. Still working on downsizing tanks. Had the idea to switch my 40b to an endler and amano shrimp tank. Got a batch of amano shrimp to add to the few I already had hoping for a nice colony. They were mostly pretty small in my 20L to grow a bit. Then I noticed a bunch of babies so evidently something other than amano got mixed in. To my horror, I then see planaria crawling around everywhere! Pulled the remaining 5 amano shrimp out of 12 to the 40b where I wanted them and is set up for endler fry to survive. Evidently the planaria have been busy. Got some panacur C and treated the 20L to save the babies, whatever kind of shrimp they are.

So, while cleaning out my 120g yesterday, I took out the feeding dish for the Ropefish and it had planaria on the bottom.
Evidently, I have planaria throughout my tanks. I could treat all tanks with panacur, but then I will have the issue of dead MTS spiking ammonia. Or, just give up on being able to keep amano shrimp. I have one very large and a medium one in a 75g that have survived for many months, but any new just seem to perish.... ugh!

coralbandit
  • #1,772
My experience with pancur for planaria is it did no damage to the snails as it was only a 2-3 day treatment at a very low dose ..
Good luck !

tfreema
  • #1,773
My experience with pancur for planaria is it did no damage to the snails as it was only a 2-3 day treatment at a very low dose ..
Good luck !
What dose did you use? I mixed 1 gram with 500ml water and then dosed 50ml per 10g (100ml for the 20L) since I do not have a gram scale.

coralbandit
  • #1,774
I mix 1 gram in 200ml water then dose 20ml per 10g .
So you are almost exactly the same assuming you used 22% fenbendazole [pancur] .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
RyanC14
Replies
Views
roffe
Replies
Views