Tfreema’s 125g Build

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so excited to finally have the tank. This will be a bit of a slow go.

First thing I need to decide on is filtration. Any and all suggestions or advice is welcome!

My thoughts are a canister filter, an HOB, and a couple power heads.

OR two canister filters and two power heads with sponges on the intake.

I don’t think I will do an under substrate jet system like I did with my other big tank. It limits scape and rescaping in the future.

72 x 18 x 21
IMG_4400.JPG

I need to decide which wall to place it on and get some support in place if the inner wall behind it in the picture. Unfortunately, the floor joists would be parallel to the tank in the optimum looking spot.

Tenshen

Reaction score
Thanks a nice tank! I had a 55 set up running the wrong way against the joists in a mobile years back...it sank the front corner of the mobile a couple inches and I had to jack up the joists and rebrace with additional support along the beams. So I feel the concern with a 125 (even if it’s a stick house). Good luck!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So, my first thoughts are fx6 and AC 110 OR two fx4 canisters.

If I go the route of two canisters, I may start with one fx4 and the AC 110 and keep it lightly stocked until I get the second one. Dude at petsmart said they would have them half off Black Friday.

I will have at least 2 power heads.

Any other suggestions or ideas for filtration?

Tenshen

Reaction score
I’m maybe a bit over filtered (if that’s a thing, ha!) with two aquatop 500’s. I don’t have a power head, although I may add one as my circulation in the tank isn’t the best. I turned away from HOB with this new tank and couldn’t be happier, it’s quieter and (to me) less maintenance. Plus I like being able to have my own media in them of my choosing (no charcoal). No complaints with the aquatop, they came with the tank and are apparently about 7/8 years old at this point, so plus one for longevity. Also a side note, my heaters went out a while ago and I swore a 200w would never keep a 90 heated well, but through the winter it held mine steady at 77 (getting it calibrated was a bit of a pain) even with my house dipping into mid 50’s at night sometimes in the room the tank is in, so I must say I love my new Eheim heater (they are long though, check your depth to the substrate before buying.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I vote 2 FX4's.

I cleaned mine last weekend after 2.5 months of running and while it was dirty, it wasn't that bad and there was no slowdown of flow at all. I'm thinking I can go 3-5 months and this is with 70ish EBA babies and lots of overfeeding with messy food. The 406 still needs monthly maintenance though.

I have an Aqueon Pro 250w heater and thought I'd need another (maybe 200w) but the 250w was more than enough for the 75g. I keep all my heaters right next to the intake on my canisters and it does a great job keeping the whole tank warm w/o being on all the time.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd recommend going for the double canisters, really large sized ones too
The powerheads would be really great as well, helps flow a ton.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I love my fx6 canister and really like the idea of 2 canisters. 2 fx4’s would be ideal. There is no such thing as overfiltrated by the way. They are pretty expensive so I may have to do one with the AC 110 until the Black Friday sale.

As far as heaters, I am thinking 2 250W aqueon pros. The one on my 75g is doing great! Eheim jager is a good one too. I will NEVER use marineland again. They do not hold a tank at a steady temperature.

I am getting some great rocks from someone with the Atlanta Aquarium Association.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tfreema said:
I love my fx6 canister and really like the idea of 2 canisters. 2 fx4’s would be ideal. There is no such thing as overfiltrated by the way. They are pretty expensive so I may have to do one with the AC 110 until the Black Friday sale.

As far as heaters, I am thinking 2 250W aqueon pros. The one on my 75g is doing great! Eheim jager is a good one too. I will NEVER use marineland again. They do not hold a tank at a steady temperature.

I am getting some great rocks from someone with the Atlanta Aquarium Association.
I use an inline Hydor heater, it works perfectly.
My tank is 31 gallons, and this heater is 250w. Basically, it connects to your hoses from your canister and assembles the exact same way how you would put together a check valve on an airstone.
It rarely has to turn on, and when it does it's only for a few minutes.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
My tank is 31 gallons, and this heater is 250w. Basically, it connects to your hoses from your canister and assembles the exact same way how you would put together a check valve on an airstone.
Interesting..... I have not considered an inline heater before. Hydor is a good brand so off to research that one. Thanks!!

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, it makes sense to explain the planned stocking when asking for advice. I am replacing a double stack 45g and 30L that currently contains cooler temp fish that this new tank will house and be built around (also doing a little shuffling with my 26g (has krib and neons) to make that a shrimp and CPD tank).

So, the temp will be about 74 with the following initial stock (to be beefed up later):

1 kribensis
1 bolivian ram
6 von rio tetras
7 neon tetras
1 common bristelnose male pleco
1 lemon blue eyed longfin male pleco
4 lucipinnis synodontis (false petricola so maybe about 4" full grown)
6 peppered cories
Nerite snails
Mystery snails (if compatible with krib - need to research that one)

Lots of room to add more later. The tetra schools and cory shoal will definitely be increased by a lot. Not sure if I will increase the synodontis or let the 4 live out their lives to be replaced with something else. I seem to gravitate to bottom dwellers and can quickly get overstocked so I gotta be careful with that.

May add another school of cooler temp tetras because this is one long tank with lots of real estate so 3 large schools may work and will provide lots of activity and color.

I really like the idea of not having an HOB on it, I thought maybe 2 fx4's might be a better setup long term. I could get one for one end and pop my AC 110 on the other end until Black Friday 1/2 off sales and just stay lightly stocked until then. Then get the 2nd fx4 and go crazy with getting the tank fully stocked.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A FX4 and AC110 should be plenty for a fully stocked 125g. Get the 2nd FX4 as funds/time permits. I think the FX4 was $199 on BF. Same price as I got on sale. You could also keep an eye out for one on craigslist but I like new for filters.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
So, I have been reading up on reviews for the hydor inline heater. A lot of people love it and the temperature remains steady, but there are a few that said the temperature went above 90 degrees and fried their fish to death! A couple others said it quit working and tank got too cold, clicking on and off constantly.

I like the idea of not having the heater in the tank, so I wonder if you or any others that have this type of heater can share your experiences.

I also wonder how it would hook up to an fx4 hose since it is likely built for a hydor canister. The one I pulled up is for 5/8". I think the fx series hoses are 1".

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
tfreema said:
So, I have been reading up on reviews for the hydor inline heater. A lot of people love it and the temperature remains steady, but there are a few that said the temperature went above 90 degrees and fried their fish to death! A couple others said it quit working and tank got too cold, clicking on and off constantly.

I like the idea of not having the heater in the tank, so I wonder if you or any others that have this type of heater can share your experiences.

I also wonder how it would hook up to an fx4 hose since it is likely built for a hydor canister. The one I pulled up is for 5/8". I think the fx series hoses are 1".
Nope! No temperature fluctuations whatsoever, it’s been a great heater. I have it preset to 76, but it stays at 75.6 all day. I recommend it to others, because it’s been a great purchase

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:

I think you'd choke the FX4 if you used an inline heater with smaller hose fitting. I wouldn't use one for a large tank but I've seen a lot of set ups with pvc pipes to put it inline with a bypass so the flow isn't choked.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DarkOne said:
I think you'd choke the FX4 if you used an inline heater with smaller hose fitting. I wouldn't use one for a large tank but I've seen a lot of set ups with pvc pipes to put it inline with a bypass so the flow isn't choked.
The difference in size concerned me. At the very least an adapter of some sort would be required and I am not a DIY person and you bring up a good point that it would be a reduction through the heater......

I still like the idea of not having a heater in the tank so when that is appropriate, I agree with Fanatic, that it is ideal.

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would go with a sump filter on that badboy. It will be cheaper in the long run, and much more simple upkeep. Also if it's used I would check all the seams and make sure the silicone is good and leak check it as well. Good looking tank

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cichlid234 said:
I would go with a sump filter on that badboy. It will be cheaper in the long run, and much more simple upkeep. Also if it's used I would check all the seams and make sure the silicone is good and leak check it as well. Good looking tank
It is brand new, but I think I will still fill up for a water check before putting anything in it. Probably do that this weekend.

I have no experience with sumps, but I think I would need more room under cabinet than what I have on each side, right? The stand is two cabinets and a middle shelf area that is all divided. Perfect for two canisters or would two sumps be something to think about?

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I prefer sumps myself they are so customizable and you can fit tons of media in them what's the footprint of one of the lower shelves could you fit a 20 or 30 gal under there?

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cichlid234 said:
I prefer sumps myself they are so customizable and you can fit tons of media in them what's the footprint of one of the lower shelves could you fit a 20 or 30 gal under there?
Each section inner dimension is about 22x17 so couldn’t even fit a 20H in there. One day I will learn and do a sump, but I am thinking this build is not the time.... unless I did an overhead sump like vikingkirken did. I wonder if her build thread is still available? I can ask her about it if not.

On another topic, I am thinking about substrate. BDBS or pool filter sand?

Also, it will take like 6 bags of sand and that’s a lot of sand rinsing so I will need to do some each weekend. I do not want to fill the tank up until I have the scape done. I have been watching YouTube videos on scaping and they usually do the scape without water then fill up. The issue is that I will be putting wet sand in the tank that will just be sitting there over several weeks. Will it get stagnant? Should I fill it up with water enough to run a power head to keep the water fresh?

Oh and background. Black? Frosted glass?

cichlid234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea I see the issue there. Pfsworkes great for my 130 I also mixed in some black substrate. I don't think you need to worry about weather its wet or not. I guess the background would depend on the scape. If you find the over head sump thread post it plz. Also you should start one as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom