Texasdomer's Tanks

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by TexasDomer, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I've had other members ask me to share my tanks over the past months, so (very belatedly), here's the thread!

This will be a thread for my tanks. I'll keep it updated periodically (or try to!) and keep a log as I downgrade and switch a few tanks around when I move at the end of this summer.

First up, my 55 gal South American (not biotope) tank. This is one of my favorite tanks. I am working on embracing a more natural look in my tank. I don't try to aggressively get rid of algae; I like the tannin stained water. My pleco eats or uproots almost all plants, so this tank went from heavily planted to the very sparsely planted cover it has now. He'll even eat Anubias and crypts. I've had to embrace letting go of the beautifully planted tank I had before I got him.

Substrate: Turface Pro Championship Brown
    Hardscape: Manzanita and clay pots for hardscape
    Filtration: Eheim Pro 3e 2074 (I need to get new suction cups for the intake and outtakes)
    Flora: Jungle vals, recovering Anubias
    Ferts: Osmocote Plus root tabs, Flourish
    Fauna:
    10x Gold tetra
    4x Mesonauta egregius
    4x Keyholes
    1x Peckoltia braueri

I had glowlight tetras, but someone (or more) in the tank ate them all within two weeks. Never figured out who it was. They don't mess with the (slightly bigger) gold tetras.

I'll try to get better pics of the fish inside, but it's hard! As you can tell from the attached pic, I am not very good at picture taking. My phone camera doesn't seem well suited to tank pics.

Attached Files:

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I love the branches. It's as if they have grown in from the river bank. Very cool.

3. Frogsauce

FrogsauceValued MemberMember

I also like that idea of downward facing branches. I'm gonna steal that idea with a spiral root driftwood piece I found. In a few weeks it should be ready to go in.

4. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Love the tank! Personally I love natural looking tanks and I am sure the fish love it too(besides the ones that got eaten :)).

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Nice setup!

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Nice tank.
    Mesonauta are not peaceful fish. Learned this the hard way. They look small, but it would not surprise me if they were the glowlite predators.

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

It's about time!!!!! Lol
    Gorgeous tank Texas!!! I love it :)

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I love the driftwood and pots! Do you have any pictures of it from when it was heavily planted?

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

OMG that tank should have been here in my fishroom. Mesonauta are on my bucketlist. Really awesome those roots / branches !

10. OP
    OP
    TexasDomer

Thanks all!

I love my Mesonauta, but you're right @chromedome52, I would not be surprised if it was them. The only other options would be the keyholes (likely not) or the Peckoltia (probably not?), so they're my first guess as well.

@BottomDweller I think I have some old pics in my albums (I think they made the move to the new site?)

@DoubleDutch too bad you're not in the US! I got those branches from a cheap and easy online source. But I definitely recommend the Mesonauta. They replaced the keyholes and the Peckoltia as my favorite fish in the tank.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I do have an article in PFK someware with branches like that. I'd try to find it and PM you sone pics later

12. Five 97

Five 97Well Known MemberMember

Beautiful setup! The glowlight tetras would have looked awesome in there, but festivums are really cool fish as well, too bad they (former) got eaten.

"can't good looking schoolers and good looking cichlids get along, ever?"

13. MommaLake

MommaLakeWell Known MemberMember

Love it Texas, can't wait to see more!

14. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I had a look at your album and it looked great and still does!

15. jenmur

jenmurFishlore VIPMember

Love that tank! The driftwood is awesome!

16. ChrisXWell Known MemberMember

Really like your tank!

How long have you had the keyholes, and how much have they grown in that time? Have they ever attempted to breed? Do you have any close up pictures of them?

17. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

The tank looks great, I really like the driftwood!

18. OP
    OP
    TexasDomer

I've had the keyholes a year today, actually! :) Just looked up the receipt and delivery date from Wetspot! They were around 1.25" then (really tiny!), and the largest are around 4" now. They haven't attempted to breed, from what I've seen, two also haven't paired off yet. I have 2-3 males and 1-2 females. There's one that I haven't sexed yet, but the other three are two males and one female.

Close up pics are hard, but I'll try soon! The problem is, as soon as I approach the tank, they crazily swim against the glass, excited for food!

19. Thurgood11

Thurgood11Valued MemberMember

Ok, that's one tank. Where are the rest? :)

20. OP
    OP
    TexasDomer

Haha right? 1 down, 6 to go!

Here's one that I recently entered into a nano aquascaping contest in a local fish group. No fish in this, just snails. Used to have shrimp, but I moved them out after the contest. Results haven't been announced, but I doubt I won; there were some pretty spectacular tanks! If you're a part of this group, you'll be able to figure out who I am. I ask just that you don't share it ;)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice