Texas Holey Rock Question

1. Jake the Fish Member Member

I have a Texas Holey Rock in my tank and after about 1 or 2 months it starts turning green. I think most of it is algae because I can remove most of it. Is there anything I can buy to stop it from getting algae and turning green?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Jake you may be fighting a losing battle. Algae and aquariums just go hand in hand. My best suggestion is to just take it out and clean it from time to time. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    Aquarium Algae Control
    Ken

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have Texas Holey Rock in my tanks also and they are just algae magnets. All that rough surface to colonize you see :) Bit in my opinion it just makes it look more natural :)
    Carol

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Carol. I agree with you. I like algae in my tank, especially on my terracotta pots and just about everything terracotta that I have in my tank. As you said it looks more natural.

Too, if the rock you speak of is porous then it probably houses a lot of your good bacteria depending on how long it's been in the tank. You may want to consider leaving it alone as cleaning it could change your readings a bit. I depend on my terracotta pots and ornaments as a LOT of my good bacteria homes.
    Ken

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

yep THR is very porous and that's one of the reasons I use it (aside from I just like how it looks :) )
    Carol

6. Mattkelsey Initiate Member

would drift wood house good bacteria what are some other things that house good bacteria

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Basically any hard surface will house bacteria. So any rocks,gravel, plants, orniments etc.