Texas Holey Rock Question

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Texas Holey Rock in my tank and after about 1 or 2 months it starts turning green. I think most of it is algae because I can remove most of it. Is there anything I can buy to stop it from getting algae and turning green?

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Jake you may be fighting a losing battle. Algae and aquariums just go hand in hand. My best suggestion is to just take it out and clean it from time to time. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    Aquarium Algae Control
    Ken

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I have Texas Holey Rock in my tanks also and they are just algae magnets. All that rough surface to colonize you see :) Bit in my opinion it just makes it look more natural :)
    Carol

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Hello Carol. I agree with you. I like algae in my tank, especially on my terracotta pots and just about everything terracotta that I have in my tank. As you said it looks more natural.

Too, if the rock you speak of is porous then it probably houses a lot of your good bacteria depending on how long it's been in the tank. You may want to consider leaving it alone as cleaning it could change your readings a bit. I depend on my terracotta pots and ornaments as a LOT of my good bacteria homes.
    Ken

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
    yep THR is very porous and that's one of the reasons I use it (aside from I just like how it looks :) )
    Carol

6. Mattkelsey

Mattkelsey Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would drift wood house good bacteria what are some other things that house good bacteria

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Basically any hard surface will house bacteria. So any rocks,gravel, plants, orniments etc.