Texas holey rock?

1. Bmur05

Bmur05 Valued Member Member

I found this today and was really excited. It has some semi sharp edges so I was thinking about getting a dremel after them to soften those up.

I initially thought this would be perfect for some kuhli loaches hiding in and out, but now I'm reading if it is Texas holey rock, it raises ph. Does anyone know how much it raises it? Mine is sitting at 7.4 in our 20gal, and I want to put this in my new 38 gal I'm going to start up next week.

It looks so cool, so tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a good bit whiter, I just rinsed it off so it's more gray right now.

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Nice find!! I've heard that it'll raise the pH too high for a community tank, but Idk....

3. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

Thanks! It was just laying there, I wouldn't mind finding more, but I wish it didn't raise it. I'd be curious to see how much it does. Time for more research I guess.

4. Five 97

Yep, time for more research, I really don't know, so I could be wrong anyway.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I think it's worth a try. Most community tanks can tolerate a wide range of ph.

6. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

Yeah I'm tempted to put it in the fishledd tank and see what it does to the ph. It's had me considering cichlids now, but it's hard to decide. Now i see why mts sets in!

7. CindiL

It wouldn't raise it past 8.0-8.2 which would be fine plus it will add a lot of good minerals for your fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

Good point. Do you think that's too high for kuhli loaches and Bolivian rams? I know everyone says stable is more important and they can be acclimated to higher

9. Five 97

I'm sure the rams will be fine as long as you acclimate them properly, but I'm not sure about the kuhli's.

10. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

aliray, do you think I'd run into any problems using this with kuhli loaches? If I soften up the edges i think they'd love it but what do you think their tolerance would be for the ph impact?

11. CindiL

It may not raise it that much, that would be the max most likely. My bolivian rams always did fine in a ph of 8.0. I might be getting more soon as its been awhile....

12. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think the PH would be a problem but I would be concerned about any sharp edges as they don't have scales to protect their skin. If you managed to get all the sharp edges off any holes they would probably really enjoy it. Alison:;hi1

13. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

That's awesome. I'm excited to get some!

14. OP
    OP
    Bmur05

I definitely plan to try and get any sharp edges taken care of. I know that could be a problem. Hopefully it won't be too hard.