Texas holey Rock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Dom90, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

So I been seeing this discussed around the forums quite a bit. I'm wondering where I can buy this or if there are any alternatives to this? I am trying to aquascape an African cichlid tank and need something with a lot of caves and hiding spots etc. thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I use lace rock. Same stuff you use in SW tanks. Its easy to stack and make caves and hiding nooks in. It can also be broken apart pretty easy so you can get the right size and shape you need.

3. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Do you have a pic? Where can I get this stuff? May be easier to mold than stacking a bunch of rocks together. Also, will they stay stacked if the cichlids decide to go on a digging fest?

4. BDpups

5. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

I use it in my O2A tank. Great for making caves. Look at the thread on my Ode to Avatar tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  7. BDpups

I love Amazon Prime. And yeah. That's what I use.

Have you looked around locally by chance? I don't live in the most aquarium friendly city and order the majority of stuff online. But lace rock is one thing the LFS around here carry. The few LFS here are into marine more than fresh which is why I think they carry it.

8. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

BDpups, my order of lace rock is coming in today, should I rinse it out or put it in as is?

10. BDpups

I just put mine in. Rinsing won't hurt if there is dust on it.

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Yea the box just arrived about 30 minutes ago at my office. I opened it up and it does look pretty dusty so I may have to rinse it off. But does it have the same properties as live rock (for SW) basically?

12. BDpups

Same properties? It's the same stuff as SW live rock, it's just not seeded with SW bacteria. It's inert so it won't affect the water.

13. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Yea that's what I meant is it inert or not or is it seed with bacteria, but now I know its not... thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice