Texas Holey Rock Help

1. jinnix Initiate Member

Hello! My fiancé's father just gifted us two pieces of Texas Holey Rock that he says used to live in an eel tank. We have a 5g betta tank and a 20gl tank with about 7 danios, 10 harlequin rasboras, and a growing number of panda cories (they won't stop breeding!). The betta tank has mostly silk plants and a java fern in it, the community tank has driftwood and lots of natural plants. Both tanks are happy and healthy and parameters are perfect. After a quick google search, I'm thinking adding the rock might not be a good idea for either tank. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Thanks!

2. octavio Member Member

Texas Holey rock (a name I find hilarious) is nothing more than honey comb limestone. As long as it doesn't have sharp edges that a fish can rub up against and get its fins cut, it should be OK. You might want to boil it first to ensure there are no leftover things that might start growing and infecting your tank when it gets wet again. Also, since it's limestone, the worst that might happen is that it might lower the PH in the tank's water column -- but not enough to be of any harm. Good luck.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think it's called Texas Holey rock because it's very commonly found in many parts of Texas. I see it all over the place.

It won't lower the pH, it'll raise it because it raises the GH and KH. I never boiled mine when I used it - simply rinsed and scrubbed a bit to get the dirt off.