Texas-Convicts mating?

stealthparade

Reaction score
HI guys! I'm new to the forum and I'm very curious to see what you guys think is going on here. I have had 5 texas convicts all born from a friend of mine, and I have slowly had relocated 3 of them due to aggression, these are the 2 I kept and have had them only for about a year. Lately, they have been having a lot of abnormal interactions such as excessively digging and reshaping the tank, rubbing against one another, and chasing each other or circling one another. I have never been able to sex these fish due to them being hybrids and I always thought they were two males considering convicts will breed with anything that swims. I'm curious if someone could help me sex them or tell me if they are mating and I should be ready for the baby fry. If you need more information please let me know!

Attachments

OP
stealthparade

stealthparade

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Prrtty fish!! The only way to sex them would be to get a look at the breeding tubes.
Thank you! How might I do this? I've never had to sex any fish before hahaha.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In general with sa cichlids the females breeding tube is wide and shorter than the male's. The male's are usually thin, sometimes pointy and longer than the female's. Hope this helps. On some fishlike angels the breeding tube doesn't appear until they r ready to spawn.

OP
stealthparade

stealthparade

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
In general with sa cichlids the females breeding tube is wide and shorter than the male's. The male's are usually thin, sometimes pointy and longer than the female's. Hope this helps. On some fishlike angels the breeding tube doesn't appear until they r ready to spawn.
Great information! Visually it seems like they are breeding last week I saw a clearish almost poop looking thing from the smaller one but I didn't notice one on the larger convict, but that was when I was cleaning and rearranging the tank maybe I screwed up their mating session haha.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chances were that was the female. Yes that "clearish almost poop looking thing" was the breeding tube. Males r larger too. They should spawn soon. Convicts and texas cichlids are too easy to breed so chances r that u will have eggs soon. :) good luck.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
U r most welcome. Oh, and I never welcomed u to FL. Welcome! lol

OP
stealthparade

stealthparade

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
glad to be here! haha I will update this with what happens!

OP
stealthparade

stealthparade

Reaction score
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I threw a video on the youtubes just curious if you're still thinking its mating or just weird behavior

New Threads