texas cichlid

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Neil Skelding, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Neil SkeldingValued MemberMember

Im thiking of getting some small texas cichlids but will they be ok with electric yellow labs cichlids?

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Hi, Neil

No matter what Cichlid is going to be the centerpiece of your fish tank, make sure you stick with the surrounding species. For example: If it's a Yellow Lab, they are Malawi Lake (African Cichlid) species. The Texas Cichlid is a North Mexico/Texas species. I wouldn't put those two in the same tank together.

My suggestion is to either get one or the other. Or, if you already have one of those, then stick with that species or region.

3. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Yes they should be fine together - with size in mind. Always a rule of thumb is to size up your tank mates getting them as close as possible. I have a Texas Cichlid in with my labs, dempsey, peacocks, blood parrot etc... he gets picked on a bit but he isnt the only one. Thats just the ways of the cichlid environment.

4. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

I do understand that theory of keeping cichlids but honestly they do fine mixed. I have 2 tanks of mixed cichlids and the "like" species pick on each other more than the different species. This is just in my experience and of course IMO.

5. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't do it. Mixing cichlids like that can be pretty tough, and I would personally never try.

6. mmolitor87

mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

The main concern for me is the fact that american and african cichlids require completely different water parameters and dietary requirements. There are the few exceptions, such as jewel cichlids, where an african is better suited to live with american cichlids.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...questions-regarding-cichlids.html#post1312057

I cannot stress enough that you should read that above post.

It may work, for a while or a long time, but you need to keep the overall quality of life for the fish as a priority as well. Not only the Texas cichlid, but the africans as well. You're talking about a fish that gets to be 12 inches long on average. How big is your tank? Most african tanks aren't large enough to house a Texas. If it is then you should look at stocking a lot more africans before you look into filling in the final gaps. If your texas reaches full size he'll be roughly three times the size of your average african fish. Texas cichlids are also knowing for having a tendency to be rather mean and often are kept with only the most aggressive american cichlids. It could easily kill the african cichlids once full size. If he doesn't die of stress first.

I don't need to say "no, don't!" or seem rude. I just want to tell you what can happen if you try to approach this direction. Hope I've helped...

7. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Texas Cichlids grow slowly, but do get big and mean. The aggression of an adult Texas is Far beyond anything a yellow lab can handle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice