Texas Cichlid and a Blood Parrot? Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Reefdweller, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

I have a beautiful texas cichlid and my favorite blood parrot and they show behaivors of mating? Is this possible? They have a area dug out and stick together all the time in this little area. I would have never paired these 2 guys up but have you guys ever heard of this? The Texas Cichlids colors have changed just here recently. I know the Parrot is a male but I am not sure about the Texas. The parrot runs anyone out of his area if they come close but not his girlfriend the Texas. Could this be love in the making?

2. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hi,

Yes, crossbreeding is possible between the two. How do you know the parrot is a male? Most likely he is sterile so you won't get any fry.

3. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

sometimes if it is a double cross breed it can have fry since it is a hybrid if it was bred from a blood parrot with a fish of the same combination that made that blood parrot it can have fry

4. ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

Well I am going off of his/her appearance.... The lower fin shape etc... I could be wrong. His name is Melissa so if it is a girl it would work out better lol (my daughter named shim back when I bought shim so you know...) What is the best way to sex parrots? I assumed they sort of fell under the cichlid category. I know they are both very protective of thier area so I am not sure. I may get a picture or 3 of the 2 of them up today and show you what I am talking about.

5. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

parrot fish come with diffrent fin shapes depending on the breeders pair because they could have more genes from one of the parent fish i know some parrots are made from pink convicts and some are made from severum fish and some midas or red devil cichlids it could have any fin type from those species its terribly hard to sex blood parrots because of this

6. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

It's impossible to sex a parrot just by its looks unfortunately. So it could be a female. It would be easier to sex your texas cichlid and that would give a better idea of the parrot's sex.

That can't be said with great certainty. No one really knows what combination was put together to create BPs.

7. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

but i know some people do cross breed them and call them blood parrots ive seen it so many times people try to do this

8. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Really? I haven't seen that much. Crosses of convicts and parrots are called Jelly Bean Parrots. Flowerhorn, Trimac, Texas, or Red Devil crossed with parrots are called Kirin Parrots. Red Devil crosses with parrots are sometimes called King Kong Parrots.

9. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

ya some people dont understand that because they are either new or dont want to research or are just trying to make a profit and dont care what they give

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice