Texas And Tiger Oscar

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by Little fry babies, May 11, 2019.

1. Little fry babies

Little fry babiesValued MemberMember

I have a Texas cichlid and really want a tiger Oscar. Will the two be compatible? They will be the only two cichlids in the tank for the time being. Advice?

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Make sure the new Oscar is substantially bigger than the Texas Cichlid. Although Oscars eventually grow a little bigger, the Texas has a far worse disposition and very territorial.
    I've kept several varieties of Texas Cichlid, and stiil keep a couple of them. IMO, an adult male Texas Cichlid is one of the most aggessive Cichlids in the hobby.
    Make sure to provide a spacious tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

Wow that's crazy. So I am going to keep my Texas in it's own tank then. Can I do an all species only Oscar tank? Or do they not get along with their own species?

4. A201

The size of your tank and size of the fish determines whether keeping a solo Oscar or a group is possible. A group of five juvenile Oscars would likely comfortablely coexist in a 125 gal. tank for five or six months, then heirarchy problems and water parameter difficulties would arise. Eventually rehoming weaker fish becomes a reality. In the end, the 125 tank becomes the home of your twelve inch wet pet Oscar.
    Groups of adult Oscars are better suited for 200 plus gal. tanks. There are several Oscar enthusiast on this site. Maybe one will chime in.

5. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

What about three Oscars only in 125? I am getting a 125 gal soon. My tank is currently the marineland heartland 60 gal. I heard Oscars grow rather quickly, so i don't want to invest in one yet any how. Just getting enough info as I can. I want a successful tank.

If I only have one Oscar in a 125 gal, what other fish can I add if I don't do an Oscar community?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  6. A201

A good sized school of adult, larger variety, Silver Dollars would probably work. Some larger Synodontis catfish might do as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

I have two syno cats already in my 60 they are, I believe, eupterus? They were labeled as black panther synos .I'll post a pic.

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A larger species pleco should work with a solo oscar. But the silver dollars and oscars sounds like an amazing looking tank IMO

9. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

10. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

So I ended up buying two Oscars. An albino red tiger and a red tiger. Right now they are 2" but I will be upgrading to a Bigger tank in the next few months and getting rid of my 60gal . I know you said a 125 gal is only good for one, so what tank size should I get? Itll have two Oscars and the two syno cats only. No other tank mates. That's what I decided is best as I don't want to add more fish as Oscars are messy as it is. And two is far more than enough.

11. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

12. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies

Okay thank you very much I appreciate your help. I'll post updates, as well. You guys and gals are awesome here. Very much appreciated .

13. OP
    OP
    Little fry babies