Tetras

1. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

What kind and how many tetras IYO would go well in my tank?
    It's 40L/10 Gal.
    [​IMG]

2. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

3. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

There aren't many tetra species that should be in a 10g, they're too active and some can actually get pretty big (3in). How about ember tetras, a school of 8, as FallenOwl suggested?

4. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

I love the look of the ember tetras and also the corys! I was possibly even thinking guppies or endlers

5. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I second ember tetras, endlers and sparkling gourami as great choices for that tank size. I'd do 1 sparkling gourami and 8-10 embers or endlers or even like 7 embers with 3-4 male endlers, they are both peaceful. Perhaps plus a snail or two and a handful of shrimp.

6. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

How about 7 embers and 3 endlers and maybe 2/3 ghost or amino shrimp?

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry to say but Pygmy corys aren't suitable for a 10 gallon, they need to be kept in groups. Although they're small they need more space as they spend quite a lot of the time swimming in the mid level unlike their larger cousins.
    Another option for you to consider would be celestial pearl danios.

8. geraldatwork Initiate Member

I have 5 Ember Tetras in my 5 gallon shrimp. I have about 6 adult and 30 babies of different ages. The ET are very shy

9. BellatheBetta Member Member

This would be a lovely stock IMO. I would go with that- it would look so colourful and pretty!

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

11. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Agreed, how about the smaller species of danio rerio? like CPDs or emerald dwarf's?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

CPDs or emerald dwarf rasbora aren't smaller species of Danio rerio. Danio is a genus and rerio is the species name. CPDs and emerald dwarf rasbora are in different genera than Danios.

13. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for correcting me :) I thought they were in the same genus, turns out I was wrong...

14. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Thanks for your input every one :) so far I'm looking at endlers and ember tetras. With endlers, do you need to get all males/all females? I'm quite concerned about having lots of babies swimming around!

15. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

All male, if you get all females, you have the chance of her already carrying babies.
    If you plan on getting both, you stock should be something like
    3-4x Endlers
    6-7x Ember tetra

With this stock you could also get-

2-3x Amano,cherry, or ghost shrimp
    1-2x Nerite or mystery snails

16. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

Ok I'll look to get all males I don't think either of my local stores sell ember tetras :( any other tetras that would be suitable? I love Glowlight tetras but unsure whether they would suit my tank size.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Look at the list I linked in post #10. There's a whole list of fish suitable for your tank size. Glowlights will not work.

18. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

In substitute for the ember tetras you could do
    3-5 sparkling gourami
    OR
    3-4 African dwarf frogs
    OR
    5-7 Emerald dwarf rasbora (as Five 97 suggested)

19. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Since your lfs doesn't carry Embers, how about a large school of ruby tetras?

20. Abbielouise1804 Member Member

I'll probably look for either green neons OR emerald dwarf rasbora. I think they'd both look gorgeous against the black substrate :)