Tetras

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by 0morrokh, Mar 7, 2006.

1. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

What types of tetras (or any other smallish fish) have a shorter lifespan, like you can expect to have them for a max of 4 or less years? Normally I would want pets that live a long time, but I just don't know what I'll do if I still have fish when I go to college.

2. atmmachine816

atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

the way it seems to me the smaller the fish it is its seems in most cases the shorter the lifespan

3. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Well, I have been planning on Glowlight Tetras, but any other suggestions, anyone? (not that I don't like Glowlights--they're awesome--I just want to know all my options. ;))

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Killifish might be worth looking into. I think a lot of them only have a lifespan of a year or so.

5. OP
    OP
    0morrokh

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think anyone near me carries them. Anyway, I did some research on Killies a while back, and they say the ones that are easiest to keep are the more "regular" ones who can live a lot longer. The ones who live only a year are supposed to be a lot harder to keep.

6. emilai333Valued MemberMember

You could take your fish to college. :) Most dorms allow fish.

7. genie

genieWell Known MemberMember

I took my fish to college. I drained my tank to about 1/4 the water. I put each fish in a different gladware container. Then I stacked them into a box, and put it in my front seat and off we went. They made the trip about 4 times!! Only lost one betta in a trip but he was sick before the move. Good luck.

8. wolfman21Valued MemberMember

I've got a couple tanks at college now in the dorm room, one main tank and another for the babies that my guppies have, and it works well. They survive a 3 1/2 hour trip about 4 times and are doing great. If you don't want to bring them to college, though, I would suggest glowlights, neon tetras, or black neons. Also, Pristella Tetras are kinda cool. I guess it just depends on what colors you like. Black neon tetras and neon tetras are cool together when they school up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice