Tetras with slight Red Gills

Rebosk

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

I was away yesterday. I noticed a tetra having slight red gills 2 days ago but didn't think much of it. Now 5 of them have quite red gills. I'll do a 40% WC tomorrow.

I live in Canada so meds might be a problem. What can I do? I guess this is a bacterial infection?

Attachments

• 20210530_204141.jpg
    20210530_204141.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210530_204154.jpg
    20210530_204154.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 20

A201

As long as the Tetras continue to eat and otherwise act normally, probably nothing to worry about.
IMO, no visual symptoms of a bacterial infection. Those Tetras are very translucent. Being able to see internal coloration is really not surprising.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I concur. I was originally thinking another direction or two as well!

Upvote 0

Rebosk

Thanks folks, I really appreciate your fast replies! The translucent bodies are nice but indeed can leads to paranoia (for me anyway haha)

My main concern was that they weren't that red last week. Just in case, what meds should I have in my arsenals? I would prefer to be prepared instead of being caught off guard and since meds are hard to find and get in Canada I will need to do some research and pay for shipping and all.

They all usually eat (they did yesterday morning) but I feed them in the morning usually and I arrived tonight. I tried feeding my fish but only the Pea Puffers ate, and their bellies were already quite big so I guess they ate some snails today anyway. I will check back tomorrow morning on the usual routine making sure they all eat.

A WC always seems to help anyway and I'm due so I guess time will tell.

<3

EDIT: I also saw some pictures online of Tetra that are red like mine and other that are fully white/transparent. Very confusing but each fish is unique so...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Kfishy17
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies