Tetras with Angelfish

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want a school of tetras in my next tank with a few angelfish. Only I want a tetra that will not be small enough to fit inside a fulll grown angels mouth and a tetra that will not possibly nip at an angels fins.

What do you recommend?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Currently I have an angel with 6 lemon tetras. They don't bother anything except when they prove who is leader of them. My angel does fine with the tetras and the tetras are a flat bodied type of fish so the angels mouth wouldn't be able to swallow one at all. The tetras also grow to be about 2".
Tom

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lemon tetras, eh? Those sound interesting. And I don't think I've ever heard of them until today but I'll keep them in mind. Hopefully at least one of the fish stores near me has them in stock so I can observe them.

shishun

Reaction score
juz find a shop tat sells tetra at 1 and 1/2" or 2inch"
I have glowlight tetra withmy diamond scale angel.. and the angel nv bother it

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah glowlights I've considered as well as bleeding hearts and penguins. After reading about the lemons though I think my heart is now set on them. So I'll get a school of those.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would recommend glowlights and pristella tetras. They should be fine with angels. If you want a big tetra, get an emperor tetra, that won't be able to fit in an angel's mouth

chatony

Reaction score
what about cardinals?

azzman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ive got 5 black neons in with 3 angels, there not the best looking
fish but they do school and no worries with the angels.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I kept a school of Head-and-Taillight tetras with my angelfish. They were big enough not to be eaten, but didn't nip the angels' fins.

They also made excellent target fish for when my angels spawned, but are fast so they never got hurt.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chatony said:
what about cardinals?
The only problem is, if the angel is too large and the cardinals are small enough, the angels will eat them. But if the angel is still small and the cardinals are a good size, they will be fine together in the tank.
Tom

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I've decided (after all this time). I got serpae tetras! Yes, I had in mind that they're a tetra that could possibly nip at my angels fins but so far there has been none of that. The serpaes don't even think about it and they move out of my angels way when they see the more aggressive two coming.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just dont try long fin black skirt tetras tho... man my angels really attacked them and they were not small tetras either!
~ kate

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Serpae tetras are known fin-nippers, especially as they mature, so keep an eye out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom