tetras tetras everywhere...

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
in a 10 gallon, I have 3 black skirt and 2 buenes ares (sp) tetras. they school together like a liitle family, and get along great. i'd like to add another fish or 2, but am I stuck with just tetras? I don't really like the silver dollars, plus I don't want them killing my plants. any ideas?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Silver Dollars would be way too large for a 10 gallon tank anyway. If you already have 5 tetras, just get more tetras because you don't have much space to add some larger fish. Besides, tetras are happy in schools so if you add more tetras, they'll be happy

Do you know what is the adult size of Black Skirt and Buenos Aires tetras? When I said that you can add more tetras to your tank, I've assumed Skirt tetras and Buenos Aires tetras don't grow large. If they do, you may have to stop right there.

Neville

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah I agree, u should add some more tetras. they are schooling fish. at least keep 6 of them. i've heard if kept less than 6 of them, they can become fin nipper!!! is it true???

OP
I

IheartmyOscars

Reaction score
yes, they're all tetras. the buenes aires are about 1", and the black skirts are 1", and one is 2". the bigger one has been known to do a little nipping, he's a bit of a bully.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
neville said:
yeah I agree, u should add some more tetras. they are schooling fish. at least keep 6 of them. i've heard if kept less than 6 of them, they can become fin nipper!!! is it true???
It all depends on the species really. Take my lemon tetras for example, there are only 3 of them at the moment and they don't bother any of my fish, they just swim around looking for food in the tank. While my b. neons nip each others fins to determine the leader of them.
Tom

New Threads