Tetras schooling

1. Rarotongan Member Member

Hi I have 1 lonely black widow tetra left after his mates got ich. I'm thinking of getting him some new friends once I'm sure the tank is ich free.

I was wondering if I got some different types of tetra will he school with them? Or will tetras only school with other tetras that are the same as them? Thanks

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

I've had different tetras school together but only as a last ditch effort when same species die. So in the name of happiness you should continue with black widows . I know your pain of having just one tetra and wanting variety. I did right by the fish and replaced with same species

3. Ihaveacactus Member Member

I have 1 glowlight tetra who schools with my black neon tetras. I took him in from my parents' house and (currently) don't intend on getting more of his kind. He swims solo sometimes but mostly stays near the other neons. So having different fish can sort of work, but i don't think its optimal. My fish clearly prefer their own kind. I think if you have the choice you should go for the same type of fish so they can form proper schools.

4. SuzanaBanana Member Member

I have 2 black tetras and 2 of the white skirt tetras (i think thats what theyre called) they all 4 school together

5. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Same species different color

6. Shadowfox118 Member Member

White skirts are the albino version of black skirts or is it the altered version. I forget but they are the same species and even can interbreed

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Just make sure they are the same species, different color variants of the same species would be fine.