Tetras Not Doing Well?

cchassie

Reaction score
i recently got my tank to cycle and it’s been doing well! First thing I stocked were 5 neon tetras. They did good for about a day then one of them disappeared. I found it a day later and it has passed away I took it back to my local petco and did the 30 day warranty, and they tested my water and it was good. (0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and 10-20 ppm nitrate) but I have a heavily planted tank that should work to soak up more nitrate. Now two more have died, but my betta girls are doing ok.

What could be going on with my tetras and should I restock and get more or just leave them as they are for now?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Neon Tetras are notorious for just dying out of nowehere. I'd recommend any other type of Tetra.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup, standard "Neons" are pretty weak (the betta may be harassing them too) in general and die easily. If you continue having trouble its probably bad stock. Try Black Neons, theyre SUPER hardy and one of the easiest fish in the trade right now. I prefer them 100 times more than "regular" Neons.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Agreed.

Also, neons don't really do well temps above 75 long term, and bettas prefer 79-80. They really aren't compatible.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They school, and they school well in my experience. We have 15ish in a 40 gallon South American biotope right now with a bunch of corys, clown pleco, serpae tetras, hatchetfish and GBR's and they stick together in a tight pack. Theyre REALLY cool to watch. And when theyre happy, I think theyre better looking than standard Neons. The electric/neon white above black is SUPER sharp, and their fins get a blue hue to them and they have a neon red highlight over their eye. They really look amazing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom