Tetras In High Ph?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by YoBoiBlaze, Aug 25, 2019.

1. YoBoiBlaze

YoBoiBlazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +115
    Experience:
    5 years
    I'm setting up a 55 gallon aquarium and want to stock it with neon tetras and serpae tetras, my only problem is is my pH is really high at 8.4-8.2, and my kh is 16 and my gh is practically non existent (I put one drop in and it's already green). Would it be possible to keep tetras in that high of pH?

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think it's risky. They can adapt, but if you were to try I would drip acclimate. Even then you may lose some tetras. Having soft water is good, (you said your GH is really low.) So GH isn't an issue. Maybe use some peat moss in your filter and to pretreat water for water changes. You could also try lowering it with some PH lowering chemicals, but I find chasing PH is a losing fight as a beginner myself. It's much easier to choose fish that do well in your water's native PH/KH/GH.

3. GabrielParker

GabrielParkerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Do all tetras need soft water because I have soft water and low PH.

4. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Most fish nowadays are tank bred and raised. Most in very hard water. As long as the ph is stable they should do just fine.

I would only worry about hardness and PH if your planning on breeding.

5. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    Hi. Good question.

Most people say PH doesn't matter as long as it's stable. And with KH that high, that water is STABLE. Lol. I personally don't have experience with PH that high, but I live in San Diego and we have pretty hard, high ph water. It comes out of the tap around 8.1 to 7.9 at my apartment. The KH is 12 to 14. With nitrification and all the wood I have in my tanks, the PH hovers around 7.7. to 7.8.

Given those parameters, I have never had issues keeping healthy tetras, danios, gouramis, or any other fish that are from water closer to 7 PH.

I do see an issue with your GH though. You'll need to use SeaChem Equilibrium or something similar to bring that up to about 4 to 6 drops. Non-existant GH will kill fish.

If you wanted more natural PH, you can use aquarium soil. That stuff lowers my San Diego water to PH under 7.