Tetras in different schools???

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm seeing different answers about different types of tetras schooling and shoaling.
Right now I have 10 neons that school really well. It's really fun to watch them move about together.
What I want is another group of tetras that will school by themselves and WON'T school with the neons.
Any suggestions?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think generally different species of tetra won't shoal/school together. Although, it may happen for species with very similar shape or coloration. So, I guess I would say get a kind that looks completely different and has a different body shape, such as Bleeding Hearts, Lemon Tetras, Black Phantoms, etc.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any fish that is the same shape and size will school together. An example was when my harlequins schooled with my lemons and my old serpae tetras. It was very beautiful.
Tom

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lemon tetras would be good, pristella tetras would also be good, and glowlights will probably stay away from the neons.

raqataq

Reaction score
Same schooling tetras

I would like to eventually add a group of tetras but I DO want them to school together. I would like to have 3 Glowlights and 3 Cardinals. Would these guys school together because I think that would look really cool.

Callum The Cat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
maybe some sarpea tetras

Peace Out Callum!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Re: Same schooling tetras

raqataq said:
I would like to eventually add a group of tetras but I DO want them to school together. I would like to have 3 Glowlights and 3 Cardinals. Would these guys school together because I think that would look really cool.
It's possible they would all shoal together, but it's also likely that they wouldn't. You really need to have 6 of each specie of tetra, especially the Cardinals. They will feel insecure in smaller groups.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom