Tetras fit through slots of breeding box?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by khloem, Aug 2, 2015.

1. khloem

khloemValued MemberMember

hey everyone! :) so i have a few pregnant ember tetras in my 10 gallon (i've never even raised fry before, kinda nervous!) and i had purchased a breeder box where it has slots so the eggs will fall beneath the mother's reach in the grates below. well, i put one of the mothers in the box, and she immediately wiggles right down into the bottom through the grates! that's obviously really bad... my question was: is there any way to modify the grates so the tetras will not fit through, but their babies still will?
    i have attached pictures of the grates below
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438553058.383008.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438553090.246292.jpg

2. Et tu

Et tuValued MemberMember

So are you setting this up in a spawning tank? Some people have used marbles or larger size gravel in a thin layer. The eggs drop in between so not so easy to snack on. After a day or two put the pair back in the home tank.

3. OP
    OP
    khloem

khloemValued MemberMember

the box is floating in my regular 10 gallon tank where the rest of my tetras live.
    that's a great idea! thank you so much, i really appreciate it! i definitely did not think of that :)

4. Burrow

BurrowValued MemberMember

I'd cover the bottom in mesh ,....my tetras loveeeee eating fry :-/