Tetras dissapearing?

fireproofcats

hey all, i’ve been experiencing something incredibly strange recently.
i recently (a few months ago) set up a 20 gallon tropical freshwater tank. after it cycled, i slowly added a school of 8 neon tetras and 2 balloon mollies. one of the mollies had fry, i magaed to catch them and they are now a little over a month old in their new personal tank (yay) but that is not the topic of this story. i do weekly water changes of 25% and test water weekly. the first month goes by and everything is perfect. water levels stay good. it’s a white sand tank with real plants and some lava rock hard scape. i have a sponge filter, fluval canister filter, and bubbler. one day when i was doing the water change, i was done and put the lid back on and turned it on. all of my neons were gone. no bodies, no carnage, just gone. i thought maybe they jumped out, but i checked EVERYWHERE even behind the tank and nothing. not in the filter (it has an intake sponge but i still checked) not in the sand, i took everything out of the tank and found nothing. literally nothing. like they evaporated. i checked the bucket of old water (i keep it to water my plants) and nothing was in there. they were there before the water change, so in the course of 20 minutes 8 fish completely dissapeared. i am at a complete loss. I decide i must’ve just not found them and they jumped out or got vacuumed up or something similar. a couple weeks go by and i got 6 new black neons and first the first week everything goes off without a hitch. water levels stay perfect. everyone gets along, they settle in nicely. i write off the previous incident as just a weirdness. but then today, changing the water, once again they all dissapeared in 20 minutes, once again no carnage ANYWHERE. someone else said they experienced something similar and all anyone said was the other fish must’ve ate them. but i have a hard time believing two juvenile ballon mollies could eat all of the fish in 20 minutes with zero carnage. has anyone else experienced this?? I am completely baffled.

ProudPapa

Could they have gotten sucked up when you were removing the water?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Feeding Times Help?
  • Anixandria
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
  • KodiakTimber