10 Gallon Tank Tetras + Danios = Compatibility ???

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi i bought platy and molly for my 10g tank and finally had to return them back ..its a long story .. can i have Danios and Tetras together in same tank without any issue ?

Like want to have 3 Danios and 3 tetras(havent decided which tetra )

NO BREEDING PLEASE ....

Please help

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I dont see any compatibility problems between the two, but danios are a bit too active for a 10 gallon tank, and both tetras and danios like to be in groups of 5+, I would keep 5-6 small tetras by themselves in there. Neons could be a good option IMO, well see what others say.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont see any compatibility problems between the two, but danios are a bit too active for a 10 gallon tank, and both tetras and danios like to be in groups of 5+, I would keep 5-6 small tetras by themselves in there. Neons could be a good option IMO, well see what others say.
+2 I think any danios in a 10g , will also drive eachother crazy let alone with other fish

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with danios. They are much too psychotic to survive long in a small tank.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My danios are CRAZY boys!! They were in a 10 Gal when I first started and didn;t know better, then I upgraded them to a 16G I think it is now, and there's only three left, but they are so much happier in there. However, Iam not replacing them as I am a bit sick of them already (only been a year soon) but they are too fast, the rest of my tank isverty peaceful and they just don't fit in.

Having said that, they are little angels. All aggression is kept between themselves and they have never bothered any of my other fish that I know about. (By this I mean no mysterious ripped fins, no cowering fish, no nothing.) So I can't complain too much.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am not replacing them as I am a bit sick of them already (only been a year soon) but they are too fast, the rest of my tank is very peaceful and they just don't fit in.

Having said that, they are little angels. All aggression is kept between themselves and they have never bothered any of my other fish that I know about.
I have to agree with everything said above..... I suppose as dither fish, they do their job well, but when you're looking for a zen moment watching your tank, and then these guys zing around pile driving the other danios, it kinda ruins the moment.....

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Compatibility yes, 10G tank no. My tetras were very passive when I had them in my 10G, they didn't start getting active till I moved them to a larger tank.

Danios and Tetras in that small of a tank, I believe they would drive each other crazy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom