TETRAS, BETTAS

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 10 Bloodfin Tetras and 3 Black Skirt Tertras in my 20 gallon with Dante (Betta). The Bloodfins are no problem, as they are in a school and pretty much mind their own business. The Black Skirts are a problem only because they don't like each other. Dante was fine with them, until recently. Now if they start chasing each other, he starts chasing them!
I've never heard of Neon tetras nipping the fins of any fish....... always thought they were very peaceful, but also kind of delicate.

S.

PS: I'm trying to find a home for the Black Skirts..... don't think my LFS will take them, as their fins are now a little ragged looking, due to their constant bickering between themselves.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do not recommend Neons with Bettas. They will not be able to resist the Betta's flowing fins. Cardinals could work but it depends on the tank size. They are active fish and need a tank of at least 20 gallons.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
NEVER! put a betta with another fish - unless it is a female betta - male bettas will eat/ fight to the death with other fish because its just their nature. take my advice and don't!!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never put a male betta with a female betta unless they are spawning and then ONLY for the length of time it takes them to spawn. The female will end up dead and the male injured. They are no more compatible with each other than two males.

Male Bettas and Females as well generally get along fine with Otocinclus catfish (Otos) and Corydoras catfish (Cories) and I have heard lately that some Rainbows go well with them. (I personally am going to try my luck with a couple of Dwarf Loaches within the next few weeks)

Merry Christmas.
Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
rose,
so bettas CAN go with other fish? cause ever time i go to pet stores and ask they always say not to put them with other fish. cause they are aggresive. i think its cool that they can though! ;D

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya they can, it just depends on the fish. Though usually people keep bettas in small tanks so please research your tankmates before you put some in and make sure you meet their requirements.

atm

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thats really good to know! though i am not likely going to get another betta because i just recently lost on and now i have 2 neons - i have them in a 1.5 gallon tank - is this big enough? or do u recommend a bigger tank? thnx Miley :-\ ???

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Austin,

Let us make sure we are clear, the small tanks we are talking about that people keep bettas in are really recommended to start at 5 gallons.  3 gallons is okay temporarily but not for a long-term home.  NO small containers or Betta Boxes or Bowls.

If you put a betta in with other fish of course the tank needs to be bigger.  If you put a betta in with Cories then you need 10 gallons minimum.  With Otos 5 gallons.

No itty-bitty tanks, sorry.

Miley, the 1.5 gallon tank is not big enough to house the tetras. The general rule is 1" of fish for each gallon of water, Tetras can get to 2" each so you already need a 5 gallon tank just for the two you have.

AND the one item I was trying to get across to you and to others is not to mix a male and female betta in a tank ever!

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O sorry, about that Rose I meant the smaller five and 10 gallon tanks, with larger tanks that those it's easier to get tankmates for bettas because there's more room.

atm

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom