Tetras and Shell Dwellers?

• Thread starter Hemikyle
  • Start date

Hemikyle

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
I would say no, definitely not with the rams at least. You need to keep in mind that shellies need hard water with a high pH while all the species you listed need softer water and low pH. If you don't already have hard water then shellies won't do well unless you increase the hardness/pH, which could negatively effect the other species.

While most shellies do stick close to their shells, when they are defending young they will chase after other fish that get too close. I have brevis with brichardi and 8 fireline danios. With shell dwellers you'd want species from the same like and/or fast moving top dwelling species (like danios).

In a big tank it could work but I'm not one for mixing fish from vastly different water parameters/habitats.

Hemikyle

Demeter said:
I would say no, definitely not with the rams at least. You need to keep in mind that shellies need hard water with a high pH while all the species you listed need softer water and low pH. If you don't already have hard water then shellies won't do well unless you increase the hardness/pH, which could negatively effect the other species.

While most shellies do stick close to their shells, when they are defending young they will chase after other fish that get too close. I have brevis with brichardi and 8 fireline danios. With shell dwellers you'd want species from the same like and/or fast moving top dwelling species (like danios).

In a big tank it could work but I'm not one for mixing fish from vastly different water parameters/habitats.
Gotcha yea I had a bad feeling that I wouldn't be able to put them with the cichlids either because they would probably definitely get eaten haha and yea the ph is perfect in the cichlid but the 60 is softer and lower ph with drift wood.

Top Bottom