Tetras and fin nipping

Schmidty
I'm starting my tanks up again and love tetras for several reasons. I love the schooling look in the tank as well as the number one can keep because of how small they are.
However, as I plan what types of fish I want to put in the tank, I am a little concerned. If I would like to have an angelfish, should I stay far away from any sort of tetras? Are some species less fin-nippy than others? Will it solve the fin nipping problem if I get enough so that they school (6 or more)? Do the tetras school only with their own group, or would, say, neons school with head and tail lights or red eyes?
I would probably be looking at getting quite a few of one species of tetra. Thank you for all the info you can give concerning tetras!
--Schmidty

capekate
Hello & welcome to fishlore! ;D

Tetras are fin nippers no way around it. they love to chase each other and nip at unsuspecting tankmates. I would not put any tetras in with Angel fish. I have tried it and the temptation is too great, for the tetras as well as the angelfish.
Other than that, I have had species of tetras together. I have had the serpae tetras in with black skirts and no one bothered each other. Tho black skirts can be little demons. I have had serpae tetras and black neon tetras together and they did fine. No one seemed to bother the black neons and they are larger than the regular neon tetras. Cardinal tetras prefer a much warmer water so I wouldnt go with them.
What size tank do you have?
~ kate

capekate
Ohh also.. if you get a group of one species, they generally will school with only their own kind. It won't cut down on fin nipping tho, as they will just chase around each other. Serpae's do nip at each other but it never usually causes any harm and its just the way they interact with each other and fight for dominance of the group.

~ kate

voiceless_kat
I have a school of Red Eye Tetras in my community tank with Sailfin Mollies; Fancy Guppies; Kribensis and Dwarf Gouramis.

They are very peaceful - except at feeding time - then they go crazy! My Fancy guppies school with them a lot - kinda cute. I have had no problems with nipping, and they are really beautiful little fish with that iradescent silver body and that flashy red eye.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Val:;sman

Schmidty
Sorry! I seem to have failed to mention my tank size. It's a 55 gallon tank. I am also going to set up my old 10 gallon tank as a quarantine/alternate tank.
Thanks for the info about tetras. Maybe I will stay away from the angelfish for now.

swords3711
head and tail lights don't really school but they are quite neat
neon and glowlights will school together
I know that black line tets are fin nippers but I don't think any other tets do

Schmidty
So, can tetras be in the same tank with barbs? So many choices! The inches to gallon ratio sure gets eaten up!
Thanks for all your help!
--Schmidty ===>

swords3711
no
never keep barbs with community fish
they are aggressive especially in groups and they are key fin nippers

capekate
I had serpae tetras and black skirt tetras in with my tiger barbs in a 29 gallon tank. I have not seen any aggression towards each other, maybe occasionally but that's it. I just feel that tiger barbs can be so nasty at times that its hard to say about these fish in a community tank. I really liked them, but after a few bad apples I decided not to have them anymore. The serpaes generally just go after each other, as the tiger barbs did as well. No one bothered the black neon tetras.

~ kate

capekate
I have a school of Red Eye Tetras in my community tank with Sailfin Mollies; Fancy Guppies; Kribensis and Dwarf Gouramis.

They are very peaceful - except at feeding time - then they go crazy! My Fancy guppies school with them a lot - kinda cute. I have had no problems with nipping, and they are really beautiful little fish with that iradescent silver body and that flashy red eye.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Val:;sman
HI VAL!! Long time no see on the forum! lol...
looking at your smiley of the snowman are you getting snow yet up there yet ????
Glad to hear that all your fishys are getting along! ;D

~ kate

0morrokh
So, can tetras be in the same tank with barbs? So many choices! The inches to gallon ratio sure gets eaten up!
Thanks for all your help!
--Schmidty ===>

Cherry barbs make good community fish. Most other barbs are too aggressive or too big.

voiceless_kat
HI VAL!! Long time no see on the forum! lol...
looking at your smiley of the snowman are you getting snow yet up there yet ????
Glad to hear that all your fishys are getting along! ;D

~ kate

HI Kate, no snow here yet...PM is coming as promised...things have been hectic..
Watch for it!!

miker
2.5 gal is only good for fish like Betta (one) :

COBettaCouple
Serpae Tetra would need at least a 10-15g tank and would be best in a group of at least 6.

Narcicius
If you have to have serpaes then getting two will be tolerable as long as you keep a regular water change schedule. By regular I mean at least three times a week.

Narcicius
BTW the serpaes shouldn't fin nip if they're the only fish in the tank, also the fin nipping may be confused with chasing as most tetras usually do, hope it all works out and let us know how it goes.

Gamer
I had serpae tetras and black skirt tetras in with my tiger barbs in a 29 gallon tank. I have not seen any aggression towards each other, maybe occasionally but that's it. I just feel that tiger barbs can be so nasty at times that its hard to say about these fish in a community tank. I really liked them, but after a few bad apples I decided not to have them anymore. The serpaes generally just go after each other, as the tiger barbs did as well. No one bothered the black neon tetras.

~ kate

Ah just an answer I was searching for. I was thinking of keeping serpaes and tiger barbs in the same tank and was wondering if anyone has done so without any problems. I have both, just not in the same tank yet.

hssea
i've keep a group of tiger barbs (originally 6, now 7). I lost 3 of the original, and just added 4 more(3 tiger and 1 albino). The tank is 2 years old and they have always been with swords and red-eye tetra's with no problems. The barbs do hang out near the front of the tank alot, while the tetras hang out towards the back near the plants.

adicted to fish
I have a 20 gallon tank and three tetras and one keeps biting the other two

I don't no if it has something to do with the gender of the fish

hello anyone hear

ValerieAdams
What type of tetras? I would try getting at least 6 and see if that helps. Did you cycle your tank before adding them? What else is in the tank?

adicted to fish
What type of tetras? I would try getting at least 6 and see if that helps. Did you cycle your tank before adding them? What else is in the tank?
black tetras

ValerieAdams
Black skirt tetras? Black neon tetras? Do you know specifically?

adicted to fish
any one know if angelfish and gupies can be in the same tank

Black skirt tetras? Black neon tetras? Do you know specifically?

they are black tetras

ValerieAdams
Possibly but not in a 20 gallon

they are black tetras
Do you have a picture? That could be a number of things.

adicted to fish
I can send you a picture

Gourami36
Agree with everything ValerieAdams said. Was your tank cycled and what other fish? 6 tetras will reduce the aggresion

adicted to fish
no it still is being cycled

yeah I thought I would need more of them

no just the tetras

Gourami36
Imo fish in cycles are bad. A lot of times beginners do this and all their fish die. What’s your water change schedule? Also can you just reply to the questions in ONE message instead of replying to each one seperately?

adicted to fish
5% water change evrery month and the guy where I bought them said that they were good fish for cycleing

BottomDweller
5% water change evrery month and the guy where I bought them said that they were good fish for cycleing
That is not enough, especially when cycling. Most people tend to do 20-50% water changes once a week though it depends on stocking.

Do you have a test kit?

adicted to fish
oh thanks

yes I have a test kit

Gourami36
That’s not enough even for a cycled tank. People usually do around 25-50% wc every week.

Momgoose56

they are black tetras
Don't put anymore fish in your tank if it's still cycling. The fish you have now are stewing in an evil nitrogenous brew! What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank. Your fish may be in distress and THATS why it's nipping.

BottomDweller
Start by testing your water. That will give you a rough idea of what you need to be doing as far as water changes. If there is any ammonia or nitrite or nitrate is above 20ppm do a water change.

adicted to fish
I do not know right now maybe I should test it right now

Gourami36
I do not know right now maybe I should test it right now
Yes test it now

adicted to fish
Don't put anymore fish in your tank if it's still cycling. The fish you have now are stewing in an evil nitrogenous brew! What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank. Your fish may be in distress and THATS why it's nipping.
I will test my tank

adicted to fish
I tested the water it does not seem to be bad the fish seem fine

Momgoose56
What are the test results?

adicted to fish
hey does any one know if there are two types of tetras like super difrent don't look semirlal

let me check

so do you want ph kh gh no2 no3

I will just give you all of them no3 o no2 0.5 ph 6.5 kh 80 gh 120ish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrazedHoosier
Replies
Views
caitlinemm
  • Question
  • danielsnod12