Tetra white fluff deformed mouth can't close

Fly Fish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi I have a community tank
5 neon tetras (since March 2015)
1 yoyo loach (since March 2015)
2 male guppies (one kept dying been replaced)
1 ottocinclus to help with algae
1 snail
It situated in a lot of sunlight since trees were cut back recently.

Temperature was steady 26C
Raised today to 27/28C I read it helps kills ich parasites just not sure what the white stuff is..
Filter: Aqua one 101F internal filter 400L/hr
Heater: 55watt

I feel the yoyo loach nips at the fish
Not sure if all the fish have nipped find because of that or fin rot.
Might have to give him away.
All tetras have tops of fins missing
Guppies have shredding tails

One tetra has deformed mouth with white stuff on mouth and sides
I think the other have a bit of white stuff near digestive system
Photos in day time can't really see the white.. I'll take another photo at night

Medicine: I have melafix and fungus aid.
Would any of these work?
should use 1/2 amount bcoz of tetras?

Please advise ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1431323580.165553.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1431323666.907106.jpg

macca

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry to say, but it's very likely the common 'neon tetra disease' which is incurable.
You need to keep your water quality emaculate to avoid this disease as best as you can. However, you could try a broad spectrum antibiotic which treats both fungus and bacterial infections.
Also or your information, Cardinal tetras, although are a little more expensive than neons, are supposedly immune to the neon tetra disease.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to say, but it's very likely the common 'neon tetra disease' which is incurable.
You need to keep your water quality emaculate to avoid this disease as best as you can. However, you could try a broad spectrum antibiotic which treats both fungus and bacterial infections.
Also or your information, Cardinal tetras, although are a little more expensive than neons, are supposedly immune to the neon tetra disease.
Sorry but this information isn't correct.
A this isn't (quite rare) NTD
B All fish (including cardinals) are vunerable for NTD (only named as such cause the first fish it was diagnosed on was a neon).

This fish' mouth is damaged. Besides of that neons (and cardinals) are prone to what I think is Lymphocystis (an untreatable viral disease). It's not lethal very fast but can cause white growths on fish mouth. Not sure this is the case btw. The ragged fins could be caused by nitrite-spikes.
Be carefull raising temps if not knowing what you dealing with : for instance bacteria just will thrive and an infection will worsen fast.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom