5 Gallon Tank Tetra Whisper PF10 Alternatives?

njghtingale

Hello!

This is my first time posting to a forum like this, but I am really desperate for advice from people who aren’t trying to sell me something.

I am keeping a betta for the first time, but have maintained a planted tank for some time and have lots of experience with houseplants and aquatic plants, cycling tanks, the nitrogen cycle, etc. However, like I said, this is my first time keeping an actual fish. I have had an okay experience with the Tetra Whisper PF10 filter. I find it to be a little bit loud, but I can deal with it. My little fish, however, seems to be struggling with the current. I’m strongly opposed to baffling the current with a plastic water bottle or something of the like, as the aesthetics of the tank are important to me. I’ve played around with the water level and have managed to make it work so that my fish can swim okay and eat just fine (but he can really only eat in one half of the tank, away from the filter). At this point, unless there’s an easier solution I don’t know about, I’m thinking it may be best just to return the tank and try something else. However, I am concerned about switching filters with a fish actively in the tank, and how this might upset the cycle in the tank.

A HOB filter will work best for my set up without a doubt. I’d like to stay in a similar price point to the filter I have, but am willing to look at something more expensive with expert testimony on its side. Does anyone have any recommendations for replacements if there are no quick and cheap fixes for the filter I have?

Thanks for any advice you’re willing to give!

Edit: After scrolling around for a while I seem to have answered my question about reusing cycled media — Seems easy enough! Is the Acquaclear worth the extra money? What size would be best for a 5.5 gal tank?

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!
You'll most likely have the same results if you switch to an aquaclear.

Try a sponge filter. You can still put the media from the tetra filter around/under/near the sponge filter to get it seeded.

You could try to put a sponge or filter floss around the intake to see if that helps slow down the current, but I
d go with the sponge filter :)

Good luck!

KingOscar

My experience is the Aquaclear 20 works well on a 5 or 10 gallon tank even with a Betta. When set on low, the flow is just slightly above a dribble. My sisters Betta has been happy in his 5 gallon tank like this for more than a year. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
15324bbb
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
bigdreams
Replies
Views