Tetra whisper filter too strong

ecbatic

Hey guys, I have a 10g, with a tetra whisper filter. The water comes out pretty strong and I think it would be better to slow it down, any suggestions on how to do that? I tried putting my old filter in but I couldnt get it to work Its not horrible, but id like to make it less intense if that makes sense. Thanks!

RayClem

What size Tetra filter did you purchase. Generally, I use a size slightly larger than recommended by the manufacturer, but not too much larger.

One of the easiest ways of reducing flow of a filter is to use a sponge prefilter. This restricts the inlet flow through the intake tube. The sponge will collect debris and will need to be cleaned periodically, perhaps when you do your water changes. Be sure to rinse it out in aquarium water rather than under the tap as the sponge will contain beneficial bacteria.

Another trick is to cut a plastic water bottle so it fits over the outfall of the filter. Although this does not reduce the flow through the filter, it will disperse the flow so it is not problematic. There are some YouTube videos on filtration hacks that will show how to do this. Here is one of them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zypher023
Replies
Views
Eric14123456789
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen