Tetra Whisper EX70

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by WetWork, Dec 20, 2012.

1. W

WetWork Valued Member Member

What purpose does the bio scrubber serve? I found a nice sponge from my LFS that i could put in there instead of the bio scrubber. Any thoughts?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's their biomedia. It's just a surface for bacteria to live on that is not discarded every month. Is it a GOOD biomedia? Not in my opinion. I don't like plastic for media - I prefer ceramics. I've used those filters and would definitely go with custom media rather than their cartridges. It'll save you money, too.

3. OP
    OP
    W

Jaysee...Im thinking of just getting rid of it and getting an Aqua Clear 70. So I dont send my tank through a mini cycle by switching filters should i just run both for a month and then get rid of the Tetra?

4. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I use AquaClear sponges in all my filters, AquaClear or not. It's the cheapest way to go when using HOBs, for sure!

5. Jaysee

It's not a BAD filter, but the AC70 is in a whole different league IMO. If that's an option for you, do it. But you shouldn't have any trouble with losing the cycle on the EX70 provided you go with custom media.

6. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Yes run new filter leave and the old one in place for a month

7. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

I use an ex70 and it works great. I have never rrplaced the filter, o just rince it out. I also use a ac50. I like them both. The ac is better quality but I see nothing wrong with the ex70. They are both really easy to maintain and both do their job really well. This may sound crazy but I like the ex better. Just my opinion though. :D
    Edit: the only drawback to the ex is there is no room for extra media. You can put 2 filter pads in the little frame thing though to seed a new filter. :)

8. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

I hated my Tetra Whisper, and it eventually pooped out on me... however, I found this great deal on amazon for a Fluval C4 for $40 w/Free shipping! :D I love it...

9. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I have a couple of Tetra Whispers. Got one on sale for $14. I keep it as a spare. Using the other one on my QT. They work well enough, and are very quiet. They appear to be changing the design, from examples I've seen in ads. Looks like they are changing to the submersible pump on the intake tube design. That's probably why I got the one on sale - clearance.

That said, I always make sure I have at least one AquaClear running on each permanent tank. They do offer superior media options.

10. Jaysee

The tetra whisper and the whisper EX are two different filter lines.

11. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Isn't the Whisper EX just the updated Whisper PF line? That's what the ads seem to imply. I would assume pretty similar performance.

12. Jaysee

It's an "improved" line, but not a replacement. Like how the emperor filters are an improvement over the penguins.

13. OP
    OP
    W

Yeah im not sold on the whole plastic bio scrubber as a solid biological filter so I removed one of them and replaced it with the fluval foam but left the other bio scrubber in place. I just feel like I can actually see the foam collecting bacteria. Just wanted to switch it up until I can buy either a AC70 or Fluval C4. I received the Tetra Whisper when I bought the tank off craigslist got the whole 50 gallon setup for 100 bucks, pretty sweet.

14. OP
    OP
    W

Okay so I was going through some boxes and found an AC20 I used for a 10 gallon saltwater tank so I cleaned it up and put in on my tank. I was thinking about running a sponge and either Seachems Matrix or purigen. Any thoughts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice