Tetra Whisper Ex70 Filter Thoughts?

EricSteph

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looking for a filter for my 40 gallon aquarium and while looking I found the Tetra EX70 the GPH is almost perfect for a 40 at 350. This filter I can find for only about 25$ which is at least 20$ less then other 70 gallon filters. I have heard that you get what you pay for so what are your guys experiences and thoughts on this filter?

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aquaclear or nothing, have owned this filter since 05, and still running strong without a single problem

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used that filter for 2 years. Around the 3 month point it got pretty loud but it did work. But the filter/carbon pads was one of the things I didn't like about it. I moved and decided to put that tank in the bedroom and I switch to a canister and Aquaclear. Yes you do get what you pay for. In the short run it's a ok filter. The only positive thing about it is it self primes.

EricSteph

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hacksaw15 said:
I used that filter for 2 years. Around the 3 month point it got pretty loud but it did work. But the filter/carbon pads was one of the things I didn't like about it. I moved and decided to put that tank in the bedroom and I switch to a canister and Aquaclear. Yes you do get what you pay for. In the short run it's a ok filter. The only positive thing about it is it self primes.
How loud are we talking? I don't have my tank in a bedroom or anything so I don't think the noise would be that big of an issue unless you mean its really loud.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
EricSteph, pretty sure he's talking about a small noise form the motor running, literally can't hear it unless you're within a couple from the filter. There are people that swear by products and those that despise them, even fx6's break down. But the most reliable are aquaclear's on most HOB filter lists. Getting an aquaclear 110 in a few days to help my AQ50

EricSteph

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Igor95 said:
EricSteph, pretty sure he's talking about a small noise form the motor running, literally can't hear it unless you're within a couple from the filter. There are people that swear by products and those that despise them, even fx6's break down. But the most reliable are aquaclear's on most HOB filter lists. Getting an aquaclear 110 in a few days to help my AQ50
After doing some research on filters it seems alot of people love the aquaclears, for right now I'm going to give the tetra a try mainly because the aquaclear equivalent is 3-4 times more money. We will see down the line if I regret my choice.

Igor95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
EricSteph, alright that's up to you, best of luck on your tank!

The salient

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tetra whisper advanced filters are durable perform fantastic, and so easy to get media and parts for them if ever needed which I have yet for the need to do that

I use two tetra whisper 60's In addition to my fluval 306 canister filter, now my personal favorite is canister filters as they are customizable and provide great water flow and surface break, only downside to them is the cleaning and media changes and only say that because it's easier to change hob filters, no matter which way u slice it any filter will filter water just don't be afraid to "over filter" cause there is no such thing.

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
EricSteph said:
How loud are we talking? I don't have my tank in a bedroom or anything so I don't think the noise would be that big of an issue unless you mean its really loud.
Well like I said it was too loud to have in the bedroom. It started to rattle which would have kept awake at night. I've heard a lot of bad things about that filter but I only had a problem with the noise. Maintenance on it is super easy. I think for the money you pay for it it's not a bad filter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads