Tetra Whisper 3i Biological Filtration

1. Kippingsy Initiate Member

To anyone who has used this filter, is this filter with the included small tetra bio bag capable of holding BB at all? I've heard positive and negative reviews but no one has specified whether or not it is actually capable of supporting nitrifying bacteria. I have a five gallon holding a single male betta with a cycled tetra 10i there temporarily along with my 3i. I'm planning on removing the 10i after a couple of weeks if I know that the 3i can actually support bacteria or not. should I get a new filter entirely or can I add other filter media to support it?

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

The 3i is rated for 3 gallons and under. For a 5 gallon, a filter with a gph of 40-50 is ideal.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Yes, the media is capable of supporting a colony of bacteria. However, removing the old filter and adding the new one will cause you to lose your cycle if you don't add filter media from the old filter to the new one.

4. Kippingsy Initiate Member

thank you for replying!
    When I first added the filter I added some of the external floss from the filter media of the 10i into the chamber of the 3i, also I heard that keeping multiple filters in a where one is cycled and the other is not would cause BB to build up on the second filter as well? Do you think it would be safe to remove the cycled filter after two weeks or so as that would be the normal cycling period for a normal uncycled filter?

5. Kippingsy Initiate Member

thank you for replying!
    When I first added the filter I added some of the external floss from the filter media of the 10i into the chamber of the 3i, also I heard that keeping multiple filters in a where one is cycled and the other is not would cause BB to build up on the second filter as well? Do you think it would be safe to remove the cycled filter after two weeks or so as that would be the normal cycling period for a normal uncycled filter?

6. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

What I did is I placed a small piece of sponge after the cartridge. That way I can replace the cartridge without losing all of my cycled media.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, you can seed the second filter by leaving it on the tank. I'd leave it for at least 4 weeks though.

However, running two filters to seed the second is unnecessary if you just move all of the filter media from the old filter to the new one.

8. RyRyTheAquariumGuy Initiate Member

I have had much experience with this filter and I can tell you confidently that the system that works best for me is this... Ditch the overpriced and fairly useless bags and go buy a block of filter sponge for 4 bucks! Then cut the sponge to fit the internal area of the filter (make sure its snug so water is forced through it.) let this filter media cycle and now you have a reusable and efficient filter media. You can even go a step further and add a small intake sponge to add more BB surface area.

BUT at that point you would most likely want to ramp up your air pump and make sure your lid stays flush and tight (the littlest gap between the lid and body in these filters WRECKS the water pressure going through it.) Then you can leave the intake sponge and always have some filtered media.

9. purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

any surface of your filter will be able to house the bacteria, so whether it is a small one such as for 1-3 gallons, or larger one for 100-200 gallons , the filter plastic housing is once such place that the bacteria can live on. it's also the reason that replacing the entire filter at the recommended time, is throwing away all that bacteria that had been growing there.

10. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

IME these filters are really crappy and I would suggest replacing it with a better one. The way they are set up don't allow the water to flow properly through the media, which leads to very inefficient biological filtration. My first 20 gallon kit came with one of these filters and didn't cycle for months, until I replaced the filter.