Tetra Whisper 10i Vs 20i For Ten Gallon Tank

Andy1124

Reaction score
I need a new filter and I’m looking to get one from the tetra whisper brand after reading reviews and such. I need help deciding between 10I or 20i. The 10I is for 3-10gallons while the 20I is for 10-20gallons. My fear is the 10I won’t be strong enough to keep thank clean, while I’m afraid the 20I will be to strong and possibly suck up and kill a fish.

What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated.

Small Tanks

Reaction score
Unless this is your secondary filter, go 20i. You never want to be at the top end of the recommended range. Your fish should be fine.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your best bet is to go with the 20i. If you went with the 10I you will be fighting bacteria blooms all the time because you don't simply have enough space in the filter for the BB to convert the ammonia, which causes that bacteria bloom.

Think of it as a homeless problem...your filter is the apartment. Your the land lord, you charge a pretty good rate for the rooms and your full 100% capacity. So where do the BB go? They either wait for a room to open up (when a BB dies) or they float out to the tank looking for another apartment, hence the homeless population. Just like real life.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom