Tetra vs Penguin vs AquaClear

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by crazedACD, Apr 5, 2010.

1. crazedACD

crazedACD Valued Member Member

Need to pick up another HOB filter...would be in my best interest to go with one of these brands (I get a discount).

Comparing the Tetra EX70, the Marineland Penguin 350, and the AquaClear 70...what would you go with for a 55g? It will be supplemented with an additional HOB filter.

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I personally have a filter by each of those makers although my tetra is a completely different model so I can't tell you for sure about that one

But I personally love my Aquaclear I've had it for years and I never have problems with it. My marineland is about half the age of the aquaclear and I think all I do is fight with that filter. Then my tetra is the whisper series and I love it but I really don't think it cleans all that well I just like it because a) it filters some and b) it gets more water moving. I have the Tetra and the marineland both on my 50 and they're both made for 50gal so I get a lot of filtration.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would get an AC110 if you are looking at HOBs. Second choice would be an emperor 400.

I have whisper EX filters and am disappointed with the amount of room for media. They are not in use.

I have penguin filters - they are loud and are not in use. I do have Emperors, and think they are far superior to penguins.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice