Tetra trouble...

1. Marinero Member Member

I just got a 5 gallon tank with 5 Neon Tetras and 2 Ghost Shrimp. This is day 2 now and at least one of the Tetras seems to be bullying the other Tetras. One I just found dead! The bullying seems to be do his thing still and the other Tetras still alive are taking cover where they can...(the shrimp are fine).

Is my tank too small? Was the Tetra group too small? I'm not sure what's causing the bullying.....

Thanks

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Tetras need alot of room to school back and forth, they also need to be in bigger schools than that and this could be part of the bullying.
    Is the tank cycled? If not that can be why you are losing them. Here are some articles that might help you. http://fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0 Hope that helps.
    Carol

3. Marinero Member Member

Thanks Carol...and yes the tank is cycled it's a started kit that came with the tank...bio wheel included...but maybe a little on the warm side....just got up to 82 with the little heater I bought (said it was for 2-5 gallon tanks) and I have since unplugged until it goes to about 75 or so.

So do you think I should get a few more Tetras or what other fish would be good for a small 5 gallon tank?

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I believe you have all the fish you need in the 5 G. I was just saying that tetras are usually in bigger schools and that helps with any aggression.
    Carol