Tetra Town!!!

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I started off with something like 14 neon tetras but they were all eaten execept one and now Ive had that one for about 6 months and decided that I was to get more tetras again as the fish that ate them died. I got 5 more now but they dont stay together as a school and dont look as good. Also the one I had for 6 months is always hanging aroung the back and he's far bigger than the rest. I want them to school dammit! All they do is fight with eachother-what to do???

2. onelovie Member Member

That's really weird!  My neon tetras school all the time.  I started out with 6 tiny ones about five months ago.  One disappeared right away but other five have gotten pretty big (for neons, anyway...).  I decided yesterday to add a few more to my fleet so I got three more little ones.  I wasn't sure if they'd join the school or not but so far they have.  I also have a school of danios (3 longfin and 4 zebra) and a school of 6 rasboras.  Out of the three different schools, I think the rasboras school the most.  If you have room in your tank and are looking to add some more fish, you should try those!  I know what you mean about wanting them to school. It's pretty cool when they do!

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

My old ones used to these are just weird I guess

4. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

That is weird maybe you should try adding a few more. Maybe you'll get an ALFA male in the next few, that will get the schooling started.

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Now that you mention it I just got another 10 so now I have 16! Now about 11-12 school together while the others are fine by themselves

6. Jason Well Known Member Member

They're schooling Whohoo! But now i have just 12 I think my angelsfish had a midnight snack on the smaller ones! Dammit

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry J-Man but neons are an angels natural food in the wild. :'( I do have neons in with my angels(hubby calls them "fish food") but they are a bigger species(black neons and green neons) and I made sure there weren't any small ones in there. I do think the angels ate some of the white clouds though.
    Carol

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Down to like 8 now the original 6 plus a couple and I'm pretty sure one angel had some along with 1 or 2 of my catfishes, I've never seen those black and green neons before except for your pictures. They look really cool! If I get anymore I'll have to make sure they are a bit larger.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Angels will eat anything that will fit n their mouth ;D
    Carol

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

Re: Tetra Town!!! and Angel that ate some and died...

Carol can an angel contract a disease from a tetra who had a disease?
    Bascally my Gold angel died today had fungus all over its body, it came up so quickly like this morning she was looking ok a little bit of cloudy whiteness to her pectoral fins and I was going to get some meds as soon as possible but when I got home from school she had cottom wool type growths on her.
    I was just wandering if one of the new tetras she possibly ate could have given her the disease???
    I think the other has some on her fins but I cant get to a shop till Sat. hope she'll be ok. I did a 50% water change today.

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Wouldn't think so unless the neon had the same disease. Are they all still in the 16 Gal tank?Thats quite a large bio-load. Did you remember to quarentine the neons? Usually water quality has a lot to do with fungus.
    Good for you for doing the water change. Keep them up until you can get meds. Keep us posted.
    Carol

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

Got the meds started treatment after 25% water change. Hope they'll get better, fingers crossed.
    My water quality like in terms of clarity and overall cleaness seemed fine. And yeah they're in the 16 gal but I have to update it in a sec anyway. I dont have a quarantine because I dont have the room but I'm pestering my parents to set up this 12 Gal we have as one, but I'll need a filter,heater and a new electricity outlet.

13. Jason Well Known Member Member

Finished treatment seemed to have healed angel and swordtail, but the angel seems lonley without the other.