Tetra SafeStart

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by chunkdaddy, Apr 6, 2010.

1. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Need advice! Setup my new tank 3/24/10 with Tetra SafeStart. As of today, 4/6/10, my water readings are: Ammonia 2, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.

I'm going to do a 50% water change tonight, but should I add prime or will that conflict with the Tetra SafeStart?

Thanks

2. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I would bet since its been over two weeks that the TSS did not work for some reason, so I would add the Prime to help with the ammonia.
    What is the background on the tank? What were the water parameters when you added the TSS? When did you add fish compared to when you added the TSS? It looks like you have a decent number of fish that should have produced enough ammonia to keep the TSS alive assuming you added it at the right time. Also did you do anything to the water before adding the TSS (Prime, Amquel Etc)? Also what size bottle of TSS did you use and did you use the entire bottle?
    TSS is a very good product but the directions must be followed precisely. If you go into the nitrogen cycle section of this forum there is a sticky thread at the top with a lot of good information on the do's and don'ts of TSS.

3. OP
    OP
    c

It's a new tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrare 5. Put the fish in first, 2hrs later added entire bottle. It was the size for 30 gallon tank. Didn't condition water before hand.

4. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

I would guess that if you did not condition the water before hand, it is likely that chlorine from the water probably killed off the bacteria from the Tetra Safe Start. I would definitely condition with Prime. Always add the conditioner to the water before adding the water to the tank, and certainly this next time around be sure to add enough to treat the whole tank.

Since Nitrites are at zero after two weeks, you should probably look at reseeding the tank. Either another dose of Tetra Safe Start or maybe some substrate or filter media from an established tank. I got my LFS to sell me a couple of pounds of gravel from a tank that has been up and running for years. I could tell it was a request that they didn't get often, but they were happy to help out, and they only charged me five dollars.

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

consider using a water conditioner that doesn't detoxify ammonia, like tetra's aquasafe, just to be sure, if you decide to go the safestart route again.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning.
    Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart
    Here is a link on Tetra Safe Start (TSS)that you may find helpful.

If it's been more than 10 days since you've added the TSS and you're still getting ammonia readings then it's time to start doing water changes to prevent your fish from suffering ammonia poisoning. Add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for 24 hours until it's time for the next water change. Keep up with the daily changes until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. Once you've added either of the two chemicals above, wait 24 hours to test so that you get accurate readings.

If you didn't remove the chlorine 24 hours prior to adding the TSS, then the above poster is correct, it may have ruined the TSS.

Best wishes,
    Ken

7. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Do you have municipal/city water? If so you should have treated the water and waited at least 24 hours.

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

There's another poster right now who's getting high ammonia readings and she's been using TSS (I think). I know she's been using Amquel.

I use Prime, swear by it.

Ken, that info you posted would be really helpful to a lot of beginners, I think. Any way to work it into a stickie on like topics? Heck, maybe you already have and I just haven't come across it. :whistling:

9. OP
    OP
    c

I use well water, there's no chlorine in my water. Tetra just replied to my email to their customer care site and said my tank has cycled & I just need to do a water change. Did 50% change late last night and added prime. Will see what the results are tonight. :;fru

10. j_hebert_88

j_hebert_88 New Member Member

Also, if you do decide to use TSS again, it would be a good idea to do at least a 50% or more water change prior to putting in the TSS. I had the problem where my TSS didn't work the first time and it was because my ammonia levels were too high to begin with. Its good to have ammonia for the TSS to feed on but also too high ammonia will kill the TSS.

11. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Keep us posted ChunkDaddy,

The link I posted in post #6 is a Sticky under Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section.

:)
    Ken

12. OP
    OP
    c

Tested my water Thursday, 48 hrs after 50% water change and adding prime, readings are as follows:
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0-5
    :;bananarow
    Looks like the Tetra folks were right. Just had to do the water change to remove the ammonia. Plan on doing regular 25% water changes on Saturday, so I'll do one tomorrow and test my water to make sure everything is okay.

Thanks

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Congratulations!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice