Tetra Safestart?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Photobelle, May 21, 2018.

1. Photobelle

PhotobelleValued MemberMember

I saw in another thread that tetra safestart does not work for cycling a tank, only tetra safestart plus. Is this true? I just checked what I got on amazon and it was not the plus, but it says it's for cycling aquariums. Also the plus on Amazon is called water clarifier. I used 3 bottles of this and never cycled so I am curious if this is why.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I’ve tested many many many bacterial additives, including TSS+, and found no correlation between using bacterial additives and cycling faster than adding nothing but ammonia. I know I’m not alone on this.

3. fishfanatic15

fishfanatic15Valued MemberMember

I believe it is the TSS+ that is the one you want but the TSS might work just the same. I know many others on this forum have found that it dosent do anything, but I have found that it has definitely sped up my cycle. You have to follow the directions ( I believe there is a thread somewhere on here were someone emailed Tetra and they explained in more detail). I use it on all my new tanks now.

EDIT: Here is the link to the thread I mentioned

Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

4. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I think it's kinda hit and miss and depends a lot on whether or not the bottom got too cold or too hot during shipment/storage. I used TSS+ to do a fish-in cycle (received a fish in a tiny 1gallon) and it was completed in 6 days, ammonia was at .5 for the second and third day then dropped, no nitrites.

5. Goldiemom

GoldiemomWell Known MemberMember

I use Safe Start only because the store I do business with doesn’t sell the plus. I think it helps get the cycle started. Just don’t use Prime with it.

6. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

I’ve heard a lot of negative things here about TetraSafeStart and TetraSafeStart +. And I believe every one of them is telling about their experience.

Mine? I started my first tank (this time) with just a few plants and fish food for ammonia. At the 3 week point I got impatient. I did a water change including Prime, waited a day and added 6 zebra danios and TetraSafeStart (no +) directly into the filter. No tests or water changes for 14 days. Day 15, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 30ppm nitrates.

Every other tank I cycled after that I used seasoned sponge filters for that original cycle to cycle the new tank. I’ve always added TetraSafeStart to the filter. Most were showing 0, 0, 20-40 after 24 hours.

One was a dirty tank that had high nitrogen in the potting soil, like 8ppm ammonia. I put 4 seasoned sponges from different tanks in and tested daily. After 8 days, 0, 0, 80.

I actually submerse the TetraSafeStart bottle into the tank and spray the bacteria onto the filter while it’s running.

I did a water change and added a betta and 6 corys. The only death I had was a couple of nerite snails that I think ate themselves out of food.

So I’m a believer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice