Tetra SafeStart

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I couldn't get my hands on pure ammonia to cycle a 3g tank that I am planning on adding a Betta to. My question is... how much of the TSS do I add? The only bottle left when I went to go purchase it at the store was a 8.45 fl oz (250 mL) bottle. I was thinking of adding a full 10 mL of that stuff. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

BenMoffat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could add the full bottle if you wanted to, TSS is good bacteria and can never be overdosed. So feel free to dump the full bottle into the tank if you want. Or get the correct bottle for your tank size.

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Awesome. Thanks everyone for your input! I'll just use the entire bottle. Rather be safe than sorry.

BenMoffat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Don't forget that you got to wait 24 hours after adding your product that dechlorinates the water before you add TSS.
So if your using prime or tetra Aqua safe you add that with your water to the tank then wait 24 hours then add TSS and then the fish.

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh boy... I didn't think about this. I added both at the same time. Did I screw up my cycle now? If so, how do I go about fixing it?

BenMoffat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not to sure someone with more experience will need to chime in.
I'd wait it out and keep a eye on your fish and see how they act. But I think you might be ok.

AndrewJ54

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't believe you screwed anything up but you might have to re add the TSS to the tank seeing as the products that remove chemicals from the water before adding to the tank neutralize TSS. It might work out, but it is better to be safe than sorry TSS is an amazing product and worked like a charm when cycling my 35 gallon

DavoleBomb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't believe you screwed anything up but you might have to re add the TSS to the tank seeing as the products that remove chemicals from the water before adding to the tank neutralize TSS. It might work out, but it is better to be safe than sorry TSS is an amazing product and worked like a charm when cycling my 35 gallon
Tetra claims that TSS is effected by dechlorinators, but I'm not convinced. It's a claim that makes no sense. The only thing I can think of it that SOME dechlorinators will deny the bacteria ammonia temporarily, but even then it shouldn't be a big burden on the bacteria.

glocknug

Valued Member
Reaction score
I used a dechlorinator prior to using TSS+. I think the bigger issue is using a product that dechlorinates and makes ammonia less harmful. The ingredient that makes ammonia less harmful kills the food source for TSS plus. Prime does this, which is why it's always mentioned. I could be wrong, but my dechlorinator doesn't do anything with ammonia.

AndrewJ54

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tetra claims that TSS is effected by dechlorinators, but I'm not convinced. It's a claim that makes no sense. The only thing I can think of it that SOME dechlorinators will deny the bacteria ammonia temporarily, but even then it shouldn't be a big burden on the bacteria.
I could be wrong not seeing as I've never added TSS within 24 hours after adding de-chlor, all that I know is in my tank after waiting 24 hours the tank was cycled in 2 weeks seamlessly.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

fredfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I made the same mistake as you, just add more TSS once 24hrs have passed since adding your dechlorinator

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't ask me the science behind this, but the issue arises from the ammonia not being readily available for the TSS, which essentially starves and kills it. It's highly likely if you added both, you'll need to add more

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, this is good advice. I'm going to head down to the store to get some more TSS+. Hopefully, they'll have a smaller bottle.

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but I have not seen it answered anywhere in old forum posts:

When cycling a new tank with TSS+, can you top it off with new water when it is needed (i.e. within the first two weeks of cycling)? If so, what are the proper steps for this? I want to make sure I don't ruin the cycling process.

Thanks in advance.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In the Q&A, they say not to use a dechlorinator for at least 7 days. You can do top-offs during the 2 week period but I would wait at least a week to do so just to be safe. I'd take a bucket of water enough for the amount of water you want to add and just dose Prime for the volume of the new water added in (not the full volume of the tank).

omordn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In the Q&A, they say not to use a dechlorinator for at least 7 days. You can do top-offs during the 2 week period but I would wait at least a week to do so just to be safe. I'd take a bucket of water enough for the amount of water you want to add and just dose Prime for the volume of the new water added in (not the full volume of the tank).
Ohhhhh... ok. I must have misunderstood that part. Awesome. Thanks for the verification el337. My bad

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom