Tetra Safestart

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners, Additives and Supplements' started by MariB, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MariB

MariB New Member Member

I have read the Q&A on TSS, I ended up with bladder snail eggs and freaked out. I took everything out scrubbed it and well now I'm in a full blown cycle. Anyway to my question's. Does the ammonia have to be at 0 before I add TSS, also idoes Ph nitrates nitrites has to be at 0 before adding TSS? I was also wondering about my HOB since I'm doing a full cycle I figured it would be easier to add ceramic media to my HOB, but wasn't sure if it would be benificial or easier for the BB to take hold during this cycle. Thank you so much.

2. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

No they don't have to be at 0 before adding TSS+. Sorry but I have no idea concerning the ceramic media but you don't need it to cycle.

Good luck.

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

No, you will not need an ammonia level of 0 to be able to add tetra safe start. As long as it's .50 or less I believe it's fine.

As for the ceramic media, it shouldn't really make much of a difference in this particular situation.

4. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

I've heard good things about ceramic media I just began using it myself. As long as you have something for the bb to hold on to you will be good. +1 for the other answers as well.

5. LiterallyHydro

Ceramic media is good. I use it in my Fluval 306 which will soon be moved to a 75G peacock tank, which will have a very high bio-load.

But regarding the OP's question about using ceramic media, I don't think it will help in this particular situation.

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure it's 4 or less, with 2 or less being ideal for TSS.....

8. LiterallyHydro

Well, why not start lower and use TSS while your ammonia is still low, so the fish are exposed to less ammonia throughout?

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, makes sense I was just saying that's what the bacteria can tolerate up to....

10. LiterallyHydro

I suppose so.

11. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

Yes still the same HOB's but was told to try the ceramic media, I just didn't know if it was worth it. Sounds like it's not, so I will keep the media I have. TY

12. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

Does it matter where I add the TSS (inside the filter, or just in the tank water)? I put it in the back of the filter, and I used 2, 20 gallon bottles of TSS in my 20 gallon tank. I'm hoping this will do it. I did however get a 3rd bottle to have JIC. I seen in the Q&A about not testing water for 10 days after using TSS. Will I get a false positive? I'm worried if I dont test my ammonia and Ph will get elevated and kill my fish. Thank you.

13. LiterallyHydro

The reason behind not testing your water during the TSS cycle is because it's probably going to scare you and make you do something that will stall the cycle like a water change.

And it doesn't matter where the TSS goes into the water as long as it reaches the main water column. I add it to the tank itself personally.

14. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

Ok, because this is the third time adding TSS, since I ended up with bladder snail eggs and freaked out and literally scrubbed my tank into a cycle. I keep testing because in the Q&A it says if the ammonia gets above 4.0 TSS will not work. So I test it twice daily and when I get to 5 days my ammonia is at 4.0 so I do a water change. Should I not do a water change no matter what?

15. LiterallyHydro

If you're going to do a water change, add the dechlorinator into a bucket filled with the water you will use for the water change. Let it sit for 24 hours before doing the water change. Otherwise the dechlorinator will stall the cycle.

16. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

MariB, please so a forum search on "how to cycle with TSS" this topic has been discussed in detail, I'm sure you will find a lot of information :)

17. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

I have read the Q&A on it along with other posts about TSS. However I did not find a reason for waiting 10 days before testing my water and don't want my fish to die. I wasn't sure if the reason for not testing for 10 days was because it would give a false positive promoting me to do a water change prematurely. It his is my 3rd time to dose with TSS due to water changes when my ammonia gets to 4.0, because in the Q&A it said at that point it will inhibit the TSS. I only posted a question on TSS after 2 failed attempts to cycle with it. In the Q&A it stated that if for some reason it did not cycle it was usually due to human error. So now I'm trying to figure out what my error is because at day 5 my ammonia is at 4.0 and my Ph is at 8.0. So I have to do water changes or my fish will die. I can't figure out what I should do, other than not feed them at all, in the hopes that it will slow the rise in ammonia. If you have a link post it please, but I have searched daily on here trying to figure it out before posting. TY

18. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariB New Member Member

The only thing I can think if is I let my water sit out for 48 hours uncovered so I don't have to use a dechlorinator, then I cover and store it till I need it. I always have 9 gallons ready.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice