Tetra SafeStart

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

I really want to do cycling with tetra SafeStart and at the same time doing fish less cycling. Should I add ammonia drops to the tank or should I add safe start and just keep measuring the ammonia and nitrites?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Fishboy123 Member Member

Thanks for the link. However I'm really scared to cycle it with fish because I will be cycling it with a calvus and some shell dwellers and I don't want them dying because there pretty hard to find in the area I live in so is it safe to cycle with fish or should I get a different bacteria?

4. DaniosRock Member Member

I did a fishless cycle using stability by Seachem, it took about two weeks. Others here have used Tom's one and only with good results as well. I really prefer fishless cycling. Its much less stressful on you and no aquatic life needs to suffer.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It looks like two methods are being merged here.
    Dr. Tim's One and Only or Prime or similar products are for cycling with fish, like Ken said. You add that product, fish, and nothing.
    Ammonia drops are for fishless cycling. You add the ammonia and nothing else. The bacteria will establish itself.

The two are wholly different and specific practices.

6. Fishboy123 Member Member

Yea I would like to do fish less because I do think it's more safer are there any good bacterias for this purpose?

7. Fishboy123 Member Member

Ok guys when I cycle the aquarium I'll put a filter cartridge from my established tank into the new tank I'll be setting up and that should jump start the whole aquarium. As for the bacteria I'm not entirely sure whether I wanna do a fishless cycle of one with fish in it. What do you guys think? I'm leaning to doing a fish in cycle with a BN pleco and the later on adding my african shell dwellers and the one calvus. What cycle to do you guys prefer and what bacteria?

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

There's no good bacteria for a fishless cycle because there is no bacteria used in a fishless cycle. You only use pure ammonia. Nothing else. If you decide to do a fish-in cycle, then you add bacteria and no ammonia. In a fish-in cycle, the ammonia comes from the fish. Most of us here use Tetra Safe Start for fish-in cycles.

And you don't want to cycle with a pleco. It won't really work.

9. DaniosRock Member Member

I did a fish less cycle using Seachem's Stability. It took 2 weeks. You dose the tank for 7 days and then leave it alone until your ammonia and nitrite zero out and the nitrates come up. The bacteria are in an ammonia suspension in the bottle so you dont need to add any additional ammonia.