Tetra Safestart testing-

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by jetajockey, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Just put safestart in 2 10 gallon tanks (fish in), one about 2 weeks old, the other about 5 or so weeks old. Neither have shown any nitrites or nitrates ever, only ammonia. I am going to test the water daily for the first 7-10 days (if possible) using the API master freshwater kit, for PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

I'm already expecting crazy numbers, but I've made a vow not to mess with the water (prime/water changes/etc) until after the 10 days is up. If I start freaking out and some of the fish aren't looking so good, at the most I will transfer them to a hospital tank, but no matter what I am not messing with the water in either of the 2 10 gallon safestart tanks.

Tank 1 has a 15-20 tiny guppy fry and a few pond snails in it.
    Tank 2 has a few guppies and a few platys in it, 5 or 6 in total (all adults) and a couple of snails.

Both tanks are lightly planted with java moss/najas grass/ hornwart

I added 50% of the TSS bottle after a thorough shaking into the filter on tank one, and then the last 50% of the bottle into the filter on tank 2 (basic HOB)

Tank 1 was treated with Amquel+ a little over 24 hours prior to dosing with Safestart, ammonia level still below .25 so no water change prior to Safestart dosing.

Tank 2 was reading between .25 and .50 ammonia, performed 60% water change with aged water treated with aquasafe approx 12 hours before water change.

Both tanks registered 0 ammonia when TSS was added.

Will update around lunchtime tomorrow after testing.

2. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Hi Jet,

I don't know much bout TSS but I do know that all our members who have used TSS don't test their water till after the 10 day period. So I would suggest not to test your water either because the levels will go crazy at that period. Other than that, wait for more responses from our members who have experience with TSS. Best of luck! :;hf

3. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

thanks for the reply! my whole idea behind testing the water was because of that. It's an attempt to try to get some actual posted evidence on the process, to help give a broader answer to alot of questions that I have about the product itself.

I'm not going to mess with the water, I'm just testing it to understand the process better :) Take care!

4. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello JetaJockey,

Best of luck with the Tetra Safe Start (TSS)! Keep us posted.

Ken

5. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

With TSS you are supposed to use an entire bottle in one tank. Even with a thorough mixing there is really no way of knowing how much live bacteria went into one tank vs. the other. Hopefully you were able to get a pretty even split and both tanks will cycle for you. Good luck!

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah I was slightly concerned with that also, but figured at worst one or the other will do better. The 100ml bottle is for 30g so I'm actually dosing 150% in each. Guess I just have to wait and see, going to post test results in a hour or so when I get some free time.

7. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Okay testing done.

Tank 1 / Tank 2
    Ammonia .50 / 1.0
    Nitrite 0 / 0
    Nitrate 0-5 (in between) / 0
    PH <6.0, 7.2 / 7.4

Tank 1's first PH test registered lowest on the scale, so 6.0 or lower, I retested 30 minutes later and it registered 7.2

Added 5 or so more guppy fry to tank 1.

All creatures looking lively, no fin clamping, gasping, color change. I'm reducing feeding for the next week to minimize tank pollution, so they are still eating but only on meager rations.

8. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

9. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I have, thanks. I'm attempting to expand on it a bit with some actual testing.

10. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Lol just making sure ;). I look forward to reading the results of your testing keep us posted.

11. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

forgot to add, both tanks are unheated, room temp keeps them somewhere between the 74 and 76 mark on the glass thermometers. I'm considering getting a few tank hearters as soon as funds allow.

12. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Day 2 results:
    ----------tank 1 / tank 2
    ammonia---- .50 /1.0
    nitrite---------0/0
    nitrate--------0/0
    PH----------7.6/7.4

13. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

My understanding is that tests done while cycling with TSS aren't accurate. I am interested in seeing how your study goes, I just don't know that the numbers are really going to mean anything.

14. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah I've seen a few reports of either the testing being off during safestart cycling (I'm not sure how it would throw them off, but still), and also not to test during safestart cycling because the params are all over the place while the new bacteria are settling in. Apparently more than a few people have seen their params going all over the chart so they added a treatment, amquel+/prime or whatever and ended up killing the safestart bacteria in the process.

No matter what the test results end up at, I'm not doing any water changes or treatments till at least 10 days into it. I'm keeping a close eye on the fish and am planning to put any that seem under stress into quarantine. Granted its not the best method ever, because they may not show any signs and still be getting poisoned, but this is a real world test.

Most people who get into this hobby buy their fish and tank in the same trip, so hopefully with enough research we'll be able to make the cycling process easier and more reliable for those who need to do it in the future.

Thanks again everyone for the input, this forum is by far the most interactive and knowledgeable out there.

I'm recording the tests not only for personal reference but also so that anyone else that is going through this can have some sort of actual example to reference off of.

15. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Day 3
    --------Tank 1 / Tank 2
    ammonia--1.0/2.0
    nitrite------0/0
    nitrate-----<5/<5
    PH---------7.4/7.4

PH on tank 2 read deep purple on first test (8.8 +), retested immediately and came out normal at 7.4.

One of the male guppies from Tank 2 started hovering and looks to have a little bit of fin rot, sent him to quarantine.

The nitrate levels on both tanks seems to be in between 0 and 5.

16. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Good luck with your testing, it will be interesting to know how soon and if TSS cycles your tank. It cycled my 29 gallon in about seven days. I'll definitely be checking back

17. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

2nd guessed my timing on the nitrates test so I redid them and tank 1 is a solid 5ppm , tank 2 is still between 0 and 5.

18. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

You already have a nitrate reading...interesting

19. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i have used tss three times. you really should have used the whole bottle. they make a slightly smaller bottle, i think mine was up to 20g. i used a whole bottle on a 2.5g....seemed silly, but i didn't want to chance it. my tanks cycled in about 7 days. i usually tested on the seventh day, and things were fine. though i would have probably been freaked out if i tested during! hope it works for you :)

20. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, but also keep in mind these tanks are several weeks old to begin with (#1 is about 2 weeks and #2 is about 4 or 5 weeks, off the top of my head), neither one is fresh out the box, so to speak. so its very likely they already had some bacteria starting, just not enough to register on tests until now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice